Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

The Grind Poker Podcast No.58: Recently Downswinging and Thoughts on the WSOP

Craig Posts: 582Administrator
In episode 58, Rob talks about his recent downswing as well as a lot of the negatives he's noticed during the WSOP.

Episode Posts at 11 AM PST.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/podcasts/recently-downswinging-and-thoughts-on-the-wsop
Tagged:

Comments

• QuantumSurfer Posts: 95Subscriber
    "I don't want to let my personal life affect the podcast"...

... proceeds to let personal life affect the podcast.

Seriously though, Rob, assuming we're discussing what you mentioned in the 2+2 chat thread, I feel for your loss. Based on the personality you show in your usual podcasts, I think you still might have a slight stretch of pain ahead, but it's one that'll leave you with more resilience and insight. Shitty situation, but know it's a common one & weaker men than you have persevered.

On the poker side, if it means anything, I'm about 5 days shy of my first full year of grinding 5/5 in LA & I know a big reason I actually managed to show a profit is the insight I got from your podcast and especially your videos. Hit a brutal downspell between Nov and March & was able to apply what I got from CLP to separate my errors from the variance which strengthened my game plenty. Don't have much experience in Vegas, but was reading a cardplayer article yesterday claiming that poker revenue in Vegas is up for the first time in over a decade this WSOP summer. Maybe some of that is from fish & not grinders?!

Anyways, hope you take sometime out for yourself over the next two weeks, & am looking forward the next positive, insightful podcast. Best of luck, Rob.
  • RAYwHITE Posts: 21Subscriber
    I’m not sure what your going through in your personal life or do I care. I joined this training site a couple of years ago to learn how to be a better poker player. It has made me a better player for sure!! That was not uplifting or motivating. Your in the business of poker training and the promotion of poker. Get it together Rob! This is your profession and you have a choice....
  • workinghard Posts: 1,482Subscriber
    RAYwHITE said:
    I’m not sure what your going through in your personal life or do I care. I joined this training site a couple of years ago to learn how to be a better poker player. It has made me a better player for sure!! That was not uplifting or motivating. Your in the business of poker training and the promotion of poker. Get it together Rob! This is your profession and you have a choice....
    I think this was a very important podcast especially for anyone who is currently or who plans to use poker as a key source of income. Poker takes an emotional toll on you and it is compounded by what is going on in one's personal life. It's not all holler baller and it's important people understand that so they don't prematurely quit their day jobs.
  • PBJTIME Posts: 317Subscriber
    workinghard said:
    RAYwHITE said:
    I think this was a very important podcast especially for anyone who is currently or who plans to use poker as a key source of income. Poker takes an emotional toll on you and it is compounded by what is going on in one's personal life. It's not all holler baller and it's important people understand that so they don't prematurely quit their day jobs.
    +1

This is raw reaction and shows the emotional swings that have to be dealt with. It helps when your downswinging to know you’re not alone.
  • whoisjoeb Posts: 49Subscriber
    workinghard said:
    RAYwHITE said:
    This^^^^

Alot of people think that just because they are a winning player that they can fantasize about quitting their jobs and "going pro"

Robs podcast is raw and emotional and highlights that its not all rainbows and unicorns when you rely on poker as your primary source of income. Shit happens and I can only imagine what it feels like to have to go and play poker even when you don't want to. So yeah it sucks to hear a downer of podcast like this one, but we also need to from time to time to keep shit in perspective.

I have always felt that playing poker can make an incredible secondary source of income if you can rely on another regular source of income to keep you afloat and this podcast just confirmed that for me again.

• kylealev Posts: 51Subscriber
    RAYwHITE said:
    Nope. This is dead wrong. Talk to us after year 5.

You want it or be one way but it's the other way.

Poker isn't glamorous. Ask any long term pro. These are the harsh realities.

This podcast was honest and real and brilliant. Enjoyed more than almost any so far.
  • basecrdshpbasecrdshp Posts: 110SubscriberProfessional
    I've been playing at the Borgata for about 15 years and very much appreciate and can relate to this podcast. Thank you Rob.
    One side note that Rob and other east coasters may agree or disagree with. If I only had the Taj to play at, I likely would have quit or at best minimized my volume do to the overall atmosphere as compared to the Borg. The Borg may be a litter tougher room, but is a much more enjoyable nvironment. I have much less issues putting in volume.
    The point I am trying to make is......working where you enjoy the atmosphere and people may be worth giving up a bit of win rate which can be made up in volume of necessary.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler