Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

How did my bluff not work here?

Playing some $1/3 $300 effective.

EP is newish to the game but has already been opening a lot pre flop.
I'm in late position.

EP opens to $15, which has been standard for him. I call in LP with J 8
Flop $30 5 7 9
I have a double gutter and a BD FD

EP bets $25 and I call.

Turn $80 9
EP checks, I bet $50, he calls

River $180 A
villain checks. This is a perfect bluff card as the FD flush comes in, and it will be hard for him to call with pocket pairs. I can have a 9, a flush, and maybe some Axhh hands.

I bet $125, EP takes a moment and calls with...... 6 5
WTF?!?!?!?!

Comments

• BartBart Posts: 5,840AdministratorLeadPro
    Thats a pretty bad call but this goes to what I say about players at this level and what they see from typical regs. Guys wont bet a 9 or a flopped straight in your spot when checked to when the front door flush comes in. There for he thinks you have a boat/flush or nothing at all. Bart
  • workinghard Posts: 1,566Subscriber
    Bart said:
    Thats a pretty bad call but this goes to what I say about players at this level and what they see from typical regs. Guys wont bet a 9 or a flopped straight in your spot when checked to when the front door flush comes in. There for he thinks you have a boat/flush or nothing at all. Bart
    So you think my bluff would have worked better had the flush draw not gotten there? an A on the river and I win the pot with a bluff?
  • BartBart Posts: 5,840AdministratorLeadPro
    No Im not saying that. The guy definitely should have folded. Im just trying to get into the head of why the guy called. Bart
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,316Subscriber
    Your bluff was great. It is a line I use often that succeeds almost always.

You just ran into a drooling idiot. Bart won't say it but I will.

@ 2/5 this works like every time. @ 1/2 or 1/3 once in a while stupid just rears it's ugly head.

But here is my take on the scenario. While these guys are terrible they still have an intuitive read on human behavior they can't understand. They don't like to be bluffed and will find an excuse to call sometimes with just about anything. So to the point if you somehow acted in a way that gave this drooler a "feel" you were bluffing he can't possibly construct a reason why he called, just that his internal intuition detected by your behavior you were bluffing.

Read up on how to modify your own and other people's behavior to get what you want accomplished. I call it the "old jedi mind trick" in my games and have used it effectively to get my opponent to do what I want. This isn't a 100% it works but it might take your opponent calling 15% of the time to 0% of the time. Which in absolute terms is a huge advantage.

I have gotten players to fold 2 pair, sets, and even once a set of aces.

So you might have given something off each street.

He also might have misread his hand for 66.

But all this long detailed analysis aside, the simplest answer is usually the correct one... he is a drooling idiot and just called because Jesus!
  • dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,003Subscriber
    I agree with the posters above. Your bluff was fine. His call was atrocious.

But use this to identify player types that you shouldn't ever bluff, and instead valuebet them relentlessly, as they cannot fold anything ever.

Oh, and shouldn't preflop just be a fold? And perhaps a raise on the flop if we are going to play a hand like this?
  • Arenzano Posts: 1,392Subscriber
    Given the EP stack depth, I’d question the profitability of the pre flop call. If EP has “been opening a lot” it seems like Hero should be more inclined to 3b villain’s open rather than callin* to hit.