Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

1/2 AQ

El Posts: 11Subscriber
1/2 game effective stack is me £450
Villan is a reg sticky player and very aggro

8 handed i open to £10 with AQch villan calls on btn and bb calls pots £30

Flop is AK4ssc

Bb checks i bet £20 btn calls bb folds pots £70

Turn is a 6h

I bet £50 he calls pots £170

River is a 5d

I check and he bets £75 I call he shows K5ss

Any advice on river play. may seem like a basic hand but wasnt sure if ide get called by worse here based on this opponent

Comments

• RagingOwlRagingOwl Posts: 172Member
    edited July 9
    If he's sticky and aggro, I'd be looking to check/raise the turn for value.

Regarding river, I generally believe that bet/fold is superior to check/call. He could have some worse Aces and call. If he has something great, he'll raise and you'll lose the same amount you would have to a check/call. And if it's neither, and he folds, then that's fine too. Winning the pot without showing your hand is not a value-less result.

• dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 1,932SubscriberProfessional
    What is your position? If you're in early position with a tight range, I'm not sure if you can get three streets of value from worse, in which case you may want to check/call the river to let him bluff missed spades. But if you are a little bit later and can have weaker aces and some flush/straight draws in your range, then you can profitably bet all three streets.

My default at 1/2 is to bet/bet/bet, and I would lead river for 110 myself for value from Ax.
  • El Posts: 11Subscriber
    I was utg +2 here i handed.

If i check raise turn and get called im in a tough spot on river oop.
    If he calls turn what do i do on river i cant value bet and get called by worse for sure ide rather bet turn and check call river
    El said:
    If i check raise turn and get called im in a tough spot on river oop.
    No you won't be.

If he just flats a check/raise, then you know he's drawing/capped and you can just jam on any non-spade river. You'd get coolered in this specific example, but usually you won't.

Ok so what worse hands call on river jam?
    I say sticky player in the sence thst he dosent like to give up but hes not a bad player that will call a shove with AJ
    edited July 12
    El said:
    Ok so what worse hands call on river jam?
    I don't know, how many bad hands could be in your range with that line?

Would you play JTss that way? Would your fellow players view your river shove as polarized? If not, work on it.

On the turn, the board is draw heavy, and your opponent hasn't done anythign to suggest he might have a better hand than yours. And yours is strong. It's value-time. You checkraise here because you want to get lots of money in the pot. You're a favorite against a reasonable range for him right now, just because you don't have a lock hand, doesn't mean you can't go broke. Check/raise!

Once you do that, and he calls, then you're pretty much committed. You aren't deep enough to bet/fold river. Check/folding river seems really weak. Check/calling wins/loses the same amount as a shove, but without the fold equity.

Your only option is to shove. Maybe you'll get called by worse. Maybe you'll get to muck your hand and scoop a large pot without showing. And it's unlikely V shows up with better after he flats your check/raise.

• MonadPrimeMonadPrime Posts: 803Member
    edited July 14
    NH. WP. You have him pegged as over aggro. Good candidate to let bluff missed gutshot/FD on river. But because he's loose/sticky you can also bet 1/2 - 2/3 pot for thin value.
    Yeah i agree hes sticky in the sense he calls light on flops and turns but on the river not sure hea calling witg much worse probably just AJ but yeah i think chexking river and lettjng him bluff missed draws is the play i think in this hand if he had Q5ss i think he bets river