Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

1/1 or 1/2

robo22 Posts: 7Subscriber
On a 2k bankroll am I better off playing 1/1 (buying in for 200bb) with a 10% rake capped at £6 or playing 1/2 (buying in for 100bb) with a 5% rake capped at £11? I'd be more comfortable playing 1/1 but what do you think about how beatble it is with so much rake?

Comments

• dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 1,872SubscriberProfessional
    At those levels I think the 6 vs 11 rake cap is a huge deal, so you should probably be playing 1/1, especially if you are more comfortable there.
    by 1robo22
  • RagingOwlRagingOwl Posts: 172Member
    edited July 10
    Not sure what kinda math dpbuck is doing but it amazes me that this 1/1 game even exists given how terrible the rake is compared to 1/2.

If they were both the same % but with different caps I could see why 1/1 might look more appetizing. But the % difference really changes things.

If the pot size is under $120, then the rake in the 1/2 game is cheaper. In a 1/1 game, pots over $120 are probably pretty rare (I don't know for sure, never played that small).

Also, as I've stated many times. If you have a job, and don't have a coke habit, then you are indefinitely bankrolled for 1/2. There's really no reason to drop down.

Finally, it seems incredibly likely that your opponents in 1/2 will play plenty bad enough to make up the extra rake.
    When a good player is playing 1/1 or 1/2, the majority of their winnings will come from nut-peddling. So the majority of pots OP will play (assuming better skill and patience than his opponents) will be those larger pots.

That higher percentage kills the rec players that play 70% of hands. But I'm assuming OP will not be playing very many small pots.
    edited July 10
    Yeah but how big can a pot really get in 1/1? Any pot under $120 is going to have a higher rake than the same pot at 1/2. Are there a lot of >$120 pots that we can win by nut-peddling at 1/1?

At 1/1, a pot with 120 BB's costs 6bbs in rake.

At 1/2, a pot with 120 BB's costs 5.5bbs in rake.

If we're just nut-peddling in both games, then our win rate in BB's per hour should be similar. No?

The same BB/hour win rate at 1/2 will win 2x as much money in actual dollars. However, the rake, in actual dollars is less than 2x. So rake, as a % of winnings, must be lower at 1/2.
    Yeah, I see your point and agree with all of your math.

I guess a bigger factor will be how deep your opponents are buying in. If everyone at 1/1 is buying in for 40 (very common for a level like that), then we should be playing 1/2.
  • robo22 Posts: 7Subscriber
    edited July 10
    RagingOwl said:
    Not sure what kinda math dpbuck is doing but it amazes me that this 1/1 game even exists given how terrible the rake is compared to 1/2.

If they were both the same % but with different caps I could see why 1/1 might look more appetizing. But the % difference really changes things.

If the pot size is under $120, then the rake in the 1/2 game is cheaper. In a 1/1 game, pots over $120 are probably pretty rare (I don't know for sure, never played that small).

Also, as I've stated many times. If you have a job, and don't have a coke habit, then you are indefinitely bankrolled for 1/2. There's really no reason to drop down.

Finally, it seems incredibly likely that your opponents in 1/2 will play plenty bad enough to make up the extra rake.
    I'm a student so don't have an indefinite bankroll. From the 1/1 I've played in the past at different places a pot size over 120 isn't very rare, so I'm hoping there's enough value from this game to build my roll a bit with less risk of ruin. Just wanted to make sure a game like this is still easily beatable for 10+ bb/hour
    robo22 said:
    I'm a student so don't have an indefinite bankroll. .....Just wanted to make sure a game like this is still easily beatable for 10+ bb/hour
    10BB/hour seems ambitious. What's the buy-in cap? What's the typical buy-in?

In regards to your status as a student and not having a bankroll, that's not an excuse. If you have time for poker, you have time for a job. So if you ever actually do go busto, then you can just flip burgers or wait tables for six weeks and then be right back in the game.
  • El Posts: 11Subscriber
    Iv played 600+ hours at 1/1 with an £11 hr win rate so definatly possible! Game selection is massive though