Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

$1/$3 - decision on all 3 streets

irwinbetirwinbet Posts: 383Subscriber
$1/$3, $300 cap.
Table is a mix of straight forward regs and a couple rec players.
My image is good. MAWG sitting on a big stack & playing pretty TAG.

Opponent: unknown middle aged Asian guy in the BB who has only played about 1 orbit so far.
Stack: $275
Preflop: I open to $12 UTG with black 99. CO & OTB call, as does villain in the BB. We are 4 handed.
Pot: $45
Flop: T 8 4 .
I think the decision to C-bet here is close. I have a good image. We can get value from worse but are also facing 3 opponents. I decided to bet $25. Only the BB calls and we are HU.
Pot: $95
Turn: A . BB checks. Would you bet or check here? I decided to bet as this is a good card to bet if he had a Tx hand. We can get value from draws. It's obviously a bad card if he has the nut flush draw or AT. I think if he has a 2 pair plus hand he will probably let me know. I bet $40 and he calls.
Pot: $175
Stack:
River: K . BB checks. What's your play? I think a bet will get a single T to fold. We beat unpaired draws that missed. It's tough to give him credit for a hand any better than 2 pair. I didn't think an A would fold. What would you do & why?
Tagged:

Comments

• dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,000SubscriberProfessional
    Interesring hand!

I like a bet on the flop, as we block some of the Ts that would call a raise preflop. So a lot of the hands that will continue are draws. I'd probably size a touch bigger, maybe $35.

Turn is interesting, as the NFD improves to beat you, but Tx is now a little bit on edge. Since this is a good card for your range, I think you're supposed to bet it. With a larger flop sizing, we could size down. But since your flop bet was smallish, I think we need to size up. I might bet $70 and look to get to showdown.

At this point, I'd like to think there are very few Tx in his range on the river, so I don't think you need to bluff, unless it is to fold out ace-baby of spades. Take your showdown. I don't think you can get value from worse, and are unlikely to get better to fold.
  • RagingOwlRagingOwl Posts: 172Member
    I'm not sure this is all that interesting of a hand. I feel like every decision could go either way. In other words, there's no wrong way to play any street, and it's virtually impossible to make a mistake. And I think if this thread runs its course, we're going to get a pretty diverse hodgepodge of advice.

My own two cents, I think we're better off checking the flop. We raised UTG. We shouldn't be very wide here, and I think we're squarely at the bottom of our range right now. We also block OESD's and several spade draws. There's an overcard on the board, we're up against multiple opponents and we're out of position. I just don't see a lot going for us here.

As played, one caller on the flop was a pretty favorable result and the turn card is pretty good for our range. I like a bet here. And I like it to be BIG. $75 seems good.

As played on the river, there's arguments both ways. I don't hate either play, but I think I prefer a bet. and actually, I like an over-bet. Your opponent just called pre-flop, and then check/called twice. He's capped. Like super super capped. I think if you jam here, he folds just about everything.
  • dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,000SubscriberProfessional
    RagingOwl said:
    I'm not sure this is all that interesting of a hand. I feel like every decision could go either way. In other words, there's no wrong way to play any street, and it's virtually impossible to make a mistake. And I think if this thread runs its course, we're going to get a pretty diverse hodgepodge of advice.
    I think that's what makes it interesting! Lol

I also like your thought of overbetting river. That hadn't crossed my mind, but is definitely a good option...
  • RagingOwlRagingOwl Posts: 172Member
    dpbuck said:
    I think that's what makes it interesting! Lol
    I hear ya. But the lack of a "right" answer means that this hand is pretty ineffective as a learning tool.
    I also like your thought of overbetting river.
    I'll bet that the average low-stakes NL player is missing at least one super-juicy river overbet spot every session.