Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

5/10 River Aces up on backdoor flush board

ClockClock Posts: 1,097Subscriber
~3K effective
V is indian guy in like 30s maybe.
He not clueless, but I've seen him do suspect stuff sometimes

V UTG limps, UTG1 limps, HERO in MP raises to 60 with A T , folded to limpers both call
Flop (200): T 9 3 - x, x, HERO bets 120, UTG calls, UTG1 folds.
Turn (440): K - x, x (Anybody likes a bet here?)
River (440): A - V x, HERO bets 210, V raises to 560

HERO?
Tagged:

Comments

• dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 1,989SubscriberProfessional
    I might size up a tick on the flop, maybe $150-$160, but otherwise I like the way you played the hand.

I think you can make an exploitable fold. Your hand looks exactly like what it is, and he check/raised anyway. I can't see him raising AQss/AJss, which is more or less all you beat.
  • ClockClock Posts: 1,097Subscriber
    dpbuck said:
    I might size up a tick on the flop, maybe $150-$160, but otherwise I like the way you played the hand.

I think you can make an exploitable fold. Your hand looks exactly like what it is, and he check/raised anyway. I can't see him raising AQss/AJss, which is more or less all you beat.
    Can't he have A 3 thought? Some KT?
    Doesn't my hand look like some AQ, AJ type of a hand also?
  • dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 1,989SubscriberProfessional
    Clock said:

Can't he have A 3 thought? Some KT?
    Doesn't my hand look like some AQ, AJ type of a hand also?
    I guess that depends on what he thinks your cbet range looks like multiway. Would you bet A Q three ways on this flop? I wouldn't think so, but maybe he's not thinking to that level?

I tend to default to assuming very very narrow river checkraise bluff ranges for villains. And with this straightening, flushed board, I'm just going to give credit that he's not bluffing. So would he checkraise something like A 3 for value (after not raising the flop)? I wouldn't think so.

I know you're supposed to call this checkraise in an optimal setting, not blocking any of the logical bluffs. But in reality I just don't see you getting bluffed here.
  • RagingOwlRagingOwl Posts: 172Member
    Your other recent thread, with A 3 had the same size pot on the flop ($200). Yet there you chose to bet 3/4 pot, here only 2/3 pot.

In the other hand, your bet was backed with very strong equity (you had a good hand). Here, you're position is a little shakier. The bet sizes correlate.

Obviously the sample size here is weak. And there were more players in the other hand, so maybe that had something to do with it. So if these are carefully thought out bet sizes, supported by your reads, then fine. But if those are just the bet-sizes that "came to you" in the moment, then you might want to start analyzing this and see if you're giving off a tell.
    RagingOwl said:
    Your other recent thread, with A 3 had the same size pot on the flop ($200). Yet there you chose to bet 3/4 pot, here only 2/3 pot.

In the other hand, your bet was backed with very strong equity (you had a good hand). Here, you're position is a little shakier. The bet sizes correlate.

Obviously the sample size here is weak. And there were more players in the other hand, so maybe that had something to do with it. So if these are carefully thought out bet sizes, supported by your reads, then fine. But if those are just the bet-sizes that "came to you" in the moment, then you might want to start analyzing this and see if you're giving off a tell.
    The A 3 hand was a super multi-way pot where I block a lot of good draws and I was basically semi-bluffing it, so I wanted more fold equity from weak hands that might be ahead of me.
    Since it's so multi-way I actually get to leverage other Vs one against the other (,,,in theory - didn't quite work out that way, did it? LOL)
    That, combined with the fact, that I had monster nut draw myself and 300BB deep with some players, so if somebody happened to have a very strong hand, I'm building pot up in case I hit where I can manipulate pot size based on what the turn brings.

Here, considering the weak limp-callers, I want to give them incentive to peal light.

In general if pot is HU and/or if I think players are strong, I would be fairly balanced with sizing, but in multiway pots and especially in super-multiway pots I think it's fine to be very unbalanced.
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,298Subscriber
    I actually would not bet this river. What do you expect to call? AJss or AQss maybe. Too many hands got there and you already showed weakness. So it is more likely than not they will XR you because they are fish. You have their range beat more than not but more of their range is XRing than calling a bet.

As played fold you are screwed and you could have the clubs.

Fuzzypup said:
    I actually would not bet this river. What do you expect to call? AJss or AQss maybe. Too many hands got there and you already showed weakness. So it is more likely than not they will XR you because they are fish. You have their range beat more than not but more of their range is XRing than calling a bet.

As played fold you are screwed and you could have the clubs.

I don't think A Q or A J are likely because they would most likely open.
    When I bet I was mostly targeting any A x - which are obv in V's range.
    I think some K x are also possible plus I thought some 2p combos
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,298Subscriber
    Very true, but those are the only hands I can think of that would call there. Other AQ/AJ arent there. So all you have left are shitty aces facing broadway, a backdoor flush (which you can totally have), and better Aces for $210 in a 5/10 game. And what possible Ax hand would they have here? A9? A3ss? It's so few which is my point. You are more likely to get XRed than get some random ace to call. Unless these guys are 2004 fish.
    Spoiler:

I ended up calling and V had J 9