Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Squeeze Play Gone Wild

PrimoVictor Posts: 59Subscriber
edited September 2018 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
So I am just a few months into taking the game very seriously. I have practically never made squeeze plays until recently. I tried one last night and it got wild.

The hand technically ends up having 3 Villains. Effective stack is $190.

Hero on BTN with A 3 ($400)

Targeted squeeze Villain is a mad man, older Asian gentleman seems limpy tight, and older Black man is hilarious always talking out loud while getting his camera time. There was no camera. Mad man called him OG.

Mad Man ($111) UTG raises to $12
Limpy ($99) calls from UTG+1
OG ($190) calls from LJ
Hero ($400) on BTN raises to $75
Folds to Mad Man who shoves all-in for $111, Limpy calls with less, and OG talks for legit 3 minutes before calling. He only has $76 behind.
Hero calls.

I had been playing with the Mad Man and OG for about 3 hours now. Both are flat out crazy. I am absolutely certain I am ahead of both as crazy as it sounds. Limpy I have no clue what he has but assume he is in the lead.

($432) Flop: 4 7 T :r:

OG talks out loud. "I got one of them. I gotta go with it." Puts rest of his $76 in the middle. I don't think I am ever folding this due to pot odds and how crazy these guys are. I have backdoor and straight draw. I am getting 5.5:1 on my call I believe.

Calling is the correct thing still, right? We are never folding this flop for the small $76? If it was a flop of 9 8 K I think we could fold then? But this flop still gives us so many opportunities on the turn+river.

How do I add a spoiler so I can do that later?
Tagged:

Comments

• CycleV Posts: 914Subscriber
    One of the (perhaps many) lessons to be learned here is, you can't squeeze short stacks. They'll just stuff it in with any PP, better aces (which in this case, is almost all of them). Sure, sometimes you'll get a call with KQ or QJs, but this is a play you should reserve for when stacks are deep AND the raiser has a fold button. Neither seems to apply here.
  • PrimoVictor Posts: 59Subscriber
    Two of these shorties are absolutely playing something around 50% of hands if not more. I took into consideration their stack sizes before squeezing. The fact these two are involved made me more confident doing so. If I ended up being wrong at least I was covering. Limpy was only one I wasn't sure about because he was newish to the table and didn't ever put his money in the middle besides calling. He could have anything too.
  • neverlearn2 Posts: 2,827Subscriber
    if i were making this pre and was left facing thse stack sizes id more than likely shove ever flop and go with it

but im not really squeezing short stacks that raised pre at the low limits unless im willing to get it in vs their range.
  • EarlyCuyler Posts: 10Subscriber
    You can't squeeze someone who is never folding. The point of squeezing is to get a fold. This is a spot where you raise a wide value range. A3s isn't in that range, at least not for me. I think 88/99+ and AQ+ or so. A3s is a squeeze against someone who thinks a bit and respects your ranges.
    EarlyCuyler said:
    You can't squeeze someone who is never folding. The point of squeezing is to get a fold. This is a spot where you raise a wide value range. A3s isn't in that range, at least not for me. I think 88/99+ and AQ+ or so. A3s is a squeeze against someone who thinks a bit and respects your ranges.
    Yeah thats true but I didn't expect them to be ahead.

Spoiler:
    Mad Man had A 2 - Limpy had K K - OG had T 9
    Turn 4 7 T 3
    River 4 7 T 3 A
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,085Subscriber
    Before i look at the results I want to add that when i saw how short everyone is i was shocked you tried this. I would make same play when I had a hand for value never in a spot like you had . A3 suited plays very well multiway in position why not just call and see a flop.

Pairs say 88+ QJ suited + AJ+ are hands i think I would raise for value given this action.

So now you are facing a bet of $80 ish into a pot $400.. yeah i am calling off. my ace maybe good backdoor straights and flushes ..but more for simply i don't want someone to think i had crap and might fold given this situation. so yeah most likely i am losing but i will gamble in these spots if close and since i wouldnt have to show first good spot imho

ok now for the reveal
    PrimoVictor said:
    EarlyCuyler said:
    Yeah thats true but I didn't expect them to be ahead.

Spoiler:
    Mad Man had A 2 - Limpy had K K - OG had T 9
    Turn 4 7 T 3
    River 4 7 T 3 A

OK so here is the fault in this thinking.

So maybe your ahead ... almost anyone calling you will be around 50% to win. So it's not just that you are ahead its whether they are getting the right price. you want them to make a mistake and when they don't fold in this spot against your exact hand they are not.

however you do the same vs the range i listed above and now they are not getting the right price and thus making a mistake. see the difference?

you got very lucky but you should know you made a pretty big mistake in this hand..
    Yeah I understand that now. Like I said. I've rarely even tried this before. Thanks all for the feedback.
  • EarlyCuyler Posts: 10Subscriber
    PrimoVictor said:
    Yeah I understand that now. Like I said. I've rarely even tried this before. Thanks all for the feedback.
    I have to make the wrong play roughly 50 times or so before I finally figure it out. So you're ahead of me still. :)
    At least primo didn't do it on LATB where @bart can make a video and rip you to shreds for all the world to see . :-)
    by 1CycleV
  • BartBart Posts: 5,820AdministratorLeadPro
    Thehammah said:
    At least primo didn't do it on LATB where @bart can make a video and rip you to shreds for all the world to see . :-)
    ?????

you always loved to point out everything I did wrong. lol. but thats the way you learn. :-)