Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Calling range adjustment facing raise with multiple callers.

In Ki Lee’s excellent fast track video series he describes an opening strategy against 1 limper and then goes on to describe a strategy against 2, 3, 4 etc. limpers. But in the video about responding to openers he just describes the ranges for the different positions in the context of facing 1opener and no callers. Is this because there should be no change in calling range when someone has opened and there are multiple callers before hero acts?

I would guess a person should be more likely to 3 bet because of the extra money but I’m not sure what adjustments are appropriate for a calling range.

If you will, please explain the reasoning behind your thoughts.

Thank you in advance for the responses.

Comments

• neverlearn2 Posts: 2,842Subscriber
    i play low limits and deal with these spots a lot. OBV we have a range here and we raise all the top value part of our range. For the borderline hands like say JTo and small pairs etc a lot of what I want to do leans how I feel post flop will play out. I also more likely to flat hands with nut potentials like A2s cause I want all suited limp calls etc.

But for harder hands, if they are fit n fold and passive post im raising a lot trying to get HU or 3 way post. So dependent on table dynamics here, not sure how we can accurately range a limp and raise range with multiple players.
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,433Subscriber
    The above with added note below.....

This is my observation only. If I raise or iso-raise I find it easier to bluff 2 players than 1 player in respect to the amount of dead money middle vs the amount I CB and continue compared to their chances to fold and the value I actually have. So say if I iso-raise and get 2 callers I will have a lower fold % by the turn than vs a single opponent but the dead money in the pot compensates. Also targeting a tight and loose player helps a lot too from my experience. Each plays off the other's weaknesses.

For example if the tight player sees you CB into him and the fish he might fold a hand he would otherwise call but since he sees you CB into 2 he might fold. Or the reverse. The fish sees you CB and the tight player calls, now the fish gives him his middle pair. This in turn increases your chance to win the hand. I don't have #s on this but it's been my general experience from more than a decade online and live.

So as said above raising, how much, and vs who really depends on the table dynamics.

The advice I can give you is to raise big cards or raise hands that have a lot of semi-bluffing power vs a table that can fold. 22 isn't an iso-raising hand. You really don't have much bluffing power with it.

Many are against this play I make. Say you got 5 limpers. I will raise the trashiest of hands from the BB like 52o, 72o, 83o just to steal the dead money. So consider there is $32 in the pot @ a 2/5 game. I raise $45 vs MP and late position limpers. Notice not EP limpers. They all have to fold 58% of the time to make this a 0EV play. Usually they fold closer to 75%. That value is worth more than checking. Many disagree with me but I do this not often enough that it is unexploitable. So say I play for 6 hours. From the BB I 3b 4x. 1x will be trash, 3x will be premiums. There is nothing they can do because the math says they can't. And if I smash it like trips or 2 pair no one will put me on those hands.

So there are some thoughts for you. Don't think statically. Think dynamically about the situation and the players. I personally hate charts. I think a player should work the math for each hand and realize it's value in different situations.
  • MarylandOMC Posts: 51Subscriber
    @neverlearn2, @Fuzzypup,

Thank you both for the responses.
  • CycleV Posts: 1,024Subscriber
    WRT what hands you do want to come along with, SC are obv candidates, but you have to be able to let go of the flush if it comes in and you are feeling heat. Similar to both above, I almost never iso with A9s-A2s. The value in overflushing people is just too good to pass up at low limits. (Personally I've taken to using SCs as 3bet hands in spots like this, if I think that most of the players in the hand have a fold button.)