Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Simple hand w AA.

So im guessing i should put my stack in vs this villian?

2 limpers. 25 game. I make it 30 in the cutoff w 2 red aces. Button (villian) calls along w 2 limpers. Pot is 120. Flop is 3c4h7c. Guy on my right who limp called donks into me 50 bucks. I see that as weak. I raise to 125 (maybe not enough?). Button reraises to 350. I have another 400 behind and villian covers. Other guy folds. I fold. Villian shows me 3h5h. Pr and gutter. If i put in a range of nut flush draws (of course i have 2 aces so thats less likelty), sets, straight, and pr plus straight draws w only suited hands like what he had, were 50 50. With the dead money i should get it in right? Even if i have the Ac and remove his fds it makes no difference. What do you guys think. Usually its good to fold an over pr here..or so i thought but not if its 50 50 and theres dead money involved.

Comments

• JLBJ Posts: 172Subscriber
    I would fold against typical opponents. It’s a classic “it’s a flip or I’m drawing almost dead” spot. I don’t think the typical player would 3-bet every pair plus flush draw.

Perhaps raising the donk lead larger would have been better. Maybe he took the small sizing as weakness. If you make it 175, maybe in his mind it makes you seem committed to the hand and dissuades semi-bluffs. I don’t know.

He made a good play this time. I wouldn’t sweat it.
  • Sonny Posts: 390Subscriber
    edited September 2018
    The guy just got lucky that you're in the minority that will fold Aces on the flop.
    A 3 bet with bottom pair, a gutter, and backdoor flush draw is usually a suicide mission.

I won't call it a gangster play or anything even close. I'd just say he tried some really stupid shit thats usually not going to work, and it somehow worked. Especially with his specific hand. You're opening the cutoff so you could just as easily have 56 of Clubs and have him drawing dead.

Its a fine fold. Draws or pair+ draws are almost never 3 betting. Most of the time when anyone makes this bet they either have flopped a straight or a set and are looking to protect their hand.
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,450Subscriber
    Just look at the list of things

4 way pot
    Bet, raise, and you got 3b.
    The board is made.

I'd fold AA also.

And yea I'd say raise more. Pot is $220 and you raised $125. vs 1 opponent I'd raise an amount I'd normally bet.
    vs 2 opponents either just call or raise more.

And why just call in some instances. And I know many will disagree with me here.
    Here you have a relatively good board for you but your opponents have a lot of equity in the hand.
    It is a multiway pot with someone left to act.
    The made board also means many will call with their whole range thinking someone already has the nuts.
    Others will often slow play the nuts or strong hands for a few reasons
    #1 afraid of the nuts
    #2 waiting for a safe card to raise
    #3 milking
    #4 you know what the turn scare cards are any 4 straight and any club.
    Lower stakes they do this like 1/2 or 2/5

When you raise here you are basically flipping your hand face up. By calling your hand is still a little in the dark.
    As Bart says the turn action will give you better information than the flop.

So say you just call and the BUT raises a fuckton like he did. You saved yourself money. Because his range is exactly what the above said... a big draw, possible nuts, possible set. Either way your equity sucks. So same result less loss

But say it goes to the turn. Your raise here has much more value in the sense of better information on your opponents and their odds are cut in half. You are only really getting one street out of these guys in a raise. They aren't calling a turn shove. So the turn raise possible gets a call but then you can check down the river when they miss. And they will shove when they hit OOP.

The standard play is the raise the flop but I find there are a mountain of advanced intangibles not covered in books that can make calling better in this spot at times. Some I listed above.

Others are the following
    Keeping your game balanced
    Misinformation
    Gather information on your opponents
    Force your opponents to play face up
    Opponents that have a balanced flop approach but unbalanced turn approach.
    by 1hustlin
  • BartBart Posts: 5,976AdministratorLeadPro
    Usually this is going to be 2 pair plus. Normally players in your spot are not folding overpairs. But remember this hand and maybe that guy is capable of attacking your range and certain board textures. I mean his play is printing if you are folding overpairs in that spot. Bart
  • hustlin Posts: 311Subscriber
    Raise bigger for sure at least 3x.

As played I would lean towards a fold. But re jamming is ok. With the right read and villain.
  • hustlin Posts: 311Subscriber
    Wait your only about $550-$600 eff..?.
    Than ya I will just get it in. 45cc A4cc , 2 pair , sets, some over played over pairs like 99+. Don’t mind getting it here now.
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,450Subscriber
    hustlin said:
    Wait your only about $550-$600 eff..?.
    Than ya I will just get it in. 45cc A4cc , 2 pair , sets, some over played over pairs like 99+. Don’t mind getting it here now.
    Weight the equity against you.

Board: 3c 4h 7c
    Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
    Hand 0: 23.530% 22.89% 00.64% 4322764 120983.00 { AdAh }
    Hand 1: 76.470% 75.83% 00.64% 14320680 120984.00 { 77, 44-33, Ac5c, Ac4c, 8c6c, 8c5c, 74s, 65s, 6c4c, 5c4c, 43s, 4c2c }

And if I remove the most ridiculous hands he might call preflop your equity gets worse. This is why this play is so strong when it's balanced.
  • wildncrazyguywildncrazyguy Posts: 422Subscriber
    edited September 2018
    Bart said:
    Usually this is going to be 2 pair plus. Normally players in your spot are not folding overpairs. But remember this hand and maybe that guy is capable of attacking your range and certain board textures. I mean his play is printing if you are folding overpairs in that spot. Bart
    So shove vs this villian but against most others fold? I guess that makes sense.