Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Pot commitment?

Is there some kind of hard and fast rule to gauge whether or not I am pot committed. what percentage of my stack do I need to put in to say that I "can't fold"?

Comments

• hustlin Posts: 299Subscriber
    general rule I follow is.

3x PSB on the flop. If you have TPTK / Over pair. you're pretty much commited. Your looking for reasons to get your money in.

if villain is loosey goosey bump that up to 5x PSB.

If villain are nits... Than u can go down to like 2 - 2.5 PSB.

these are my guidelines. They've served me quite well.
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,433Subscriber
    By the book as a guide....

Once you bet 10% of your stack your next bet is committing. Because say you just double your bet. That will be 20% of your original stack of 30% of the total.

But the rules are not fast and hard. You can be past commitment but still fold.

For example you have nothing, 32o completely missed. You bet flop, bet large turn and get shoved on getting 2.3:1..... You fold because you have nothing. But the bet itself is threatening as it puts your opponent in a shove or fold mode.

Or same example vs a nit and he shoves the turn vs your overpair. There is zero chance he is doing this with anything less than 2 pair. Easy fold.

Or even preflop nit raises you 3b bluff with KTo, he shoves giving you 2.8:1 you fold because you with 99% certainty he is never doing this without KK+.

But vs an action player who can bluff? You have to be careful passing that point. At certain times you can reverse the pressure on him. You bet 10% of your stack on the flop, the turn you check and now he commits himself with a draw vs your set and he bet for you when you XRAI.

But as a general rule if I am getting 8:1 to call, I call. I call this my spazz factor range of 10% + 6.6% for hand misreading or just being outdumbed.
  • BlackSh333p Posts: 2Subscriber
    Fuzzypup said:

But as a general rule if I am getting 8:1 to call, I call. I call this my spazz factor range of 10% + 6.6% for hand misreading or just being outdumbed.
    Do you mean if you are at the top ten percent of your range or ten percent of hands?
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,433Subscriber
    if I have a bluff catcher. Like say I have A 4 and call a raise.

FLOP T 3 5 The player bets flop 1/2p I call.
    TURN 9 I PU a FD, he bets 1/2p, I call.
    RIVER 9 he bets 1/10th pot.... I would call with Ace high.

He might have QJ, he might have A2, he might have KQ. Even if I had K 4 here I would call just because he could have QJ, 87, 86, or 76

Now say instead I had 4 2:s: then I would raise the river or the turn but not call. With 42 I bluff catch nothing.

You basically have to find some bluff range for him and have bluff catchers.