Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Big spew with AK?

WillHungPoker Posts: 84Subscriber
edited September 2018 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
$5/$10 NLHE Cash Game at the Commerce
Effective stack: $1,550 (my stack)

UTG white old guy limps, young guy to my right also limp, I am UTG+2 with AcKc and I raised to $60. Other people folded, the limpers call. 3 players to the pot, pot is $190.

The old white guy has a narrower range because he typically limp call raises with weak Broadway hands, suited connectors, and smaller pairs. The younger white guy to my right can have anything. He just likes to see flops with weak hands and try to either get lucky or outplay people postflop.

Flop: Ks 2h 3h
The old white guy lead out for $50. The young white guy calls $50. Pot is $290.

My action: I could call or raise.

Call means I am disguising the strength of my hand, perhaps inducing bluffs from the guy to my right. Raise means I am isolating the old white guy potentially if he has a hand like flush draw or KQ or KJ. I usually expect to win the pot on the spot if I raise to something like $200 or $250. I feel I could I win more money by calling this flop. I called.

Turn: 4d
The old white guy checks. The young guy bet $225. Pot is $515.

I have not played with the guy to my right before. There are very few value hands he could crush me with. Based on how he only called the flop bet of $50, the hands he has me beat with are A5 and 56. This big bet does worry me though. My read is either he has a straight or he has a combo draw of some kind, like 4h 5h. But it's possible he has hands like KJ or KQ. I called with the intention to evaluate river. The old white guy folds.

River: Jc
The young guy now bets $500. The pot is $1015.

I took my time with this one. I saw how he checked his hole cards on the turn. This could be a tell that he has a big hand. This bet sizing also seems to be consistent for big hands. The Jc is not the best card for me because now the only value hand I am beating is KQ.

I was confused with this big pot bet on the river and I ended up calling.

He showed 5h 6d for the nut straight.

I felt disgusted inside and went off to lose the remaining $710 stack with AK against someone else's QQ.

Comments

• dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 1,989SubscriberProfessional
    Preflop is fine. Flop should be a raise to something like $275. You've got their ranges crushed on this board, especially with the lines they took. Lay down the hammer with your nut hands as well as your flush draws. You can't expect either villain to put money in with Kx or a FD and then fold to a single raise...

As played, once you just flat the flop, the call down is probably fine. You decided to play it as a bluff-catcher, so keep bluff-catching.
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,298Subscriber
    Just calling is an option depending on the situation and for balance.

In this case I prefer raising. On average on any flop you should expect 50% of the players to call if it is bet and not raised. Here you have 2 players calling.

When you have a spot like this I find more often than not one player has a draw and the other something else. But in your hand that board hits your range. So what would an OMC bet the flop small like this when there are 2 draws? A draw himself or a weaker King. The 2nd player leans even more heavily on a draw when he just calls. If OMC has a FD he is almost always calling a raise and he plays predictable. It is HIGHLY doubtful someone has 2P+ here. Your raise actually saves you money if they do because you should expect a back raise.

So in this case raising is correct. Make a plan for which cards will come on the turn and what you will do.

Try approaching situations along all avenues not just one field of view.
    How difficult your decision will be if you call or raise on future streets
    Take time to replay their behaviors on the flop for clues.
    How many streets of value you expect in the hand and which 2 do you want.
    What cards will you check the turn or fold to a raise.

So when just call? When the opponents made your bet for you and raising puts you in an awkward SPR spot OTT. Another component is if your opponent has a balanced range on the flop and he is indifferent to whether you call or fold but his turn action will reveal way more information about his hand. Or if the guy is a nut job. You can trap the player between
  • WillHungPoker Posts: 84Subscriber
    Thank you for the feedback. I definitely agree that raising would be better for the flop because someone with a weak King is very likely to call if I raise to something like $200.

With the way this hand is being played, I can probably fold to the big river bet of $500 because I am only beating missed flush draws. It’s not worth calling a pot sized bet on the river here.
  • BartBart Posts: 5,820AdministratorLeadPro
    As I said in the call in show yesterday (we will post it) you only beat missed heart draws and even if the euro is aggro, unless he is truly awful who is leading a flush draw there on the turn after you over call the flop?
  • hustlin Posts: 279Subscriber
    what those above guys said. Strongly prefer a raise.

As played u should call down here in theory. But based on the bet sizing of $500 seems strong. Any bet of like $250-$400 calling off.
    Its possible to fold here against a PSB
  • CycleV Posts: 912Subscriber
    WillHungPoker said:

UTG white old guy limps, young guy to my right also limp, I am UTG+2 with AcKc and I raised to $60. Other people folded, the limpers call. 3 players to the pot, pot is $190.

The old white guy has a narrower range because he typically limp call raises with weak Broadway hands, suited connectors, and smaller pairs. The younger white guy to my right can have anything. He just likes to see flops with weak hands and try to either get lucky or outplay people postflop.

I have not played with the guy to my right before. There are very few value hands he could crush me with. Based on how he only called the flop bet of $50, the hands he has me beat with are A5 and 56. This big bet does worry me though. My read is either he has a straight or he has a combo draw of some kind, like 4h 5h. But it's possible he has hands like KJ or KQ. I called with the intention to evaluate river. The old white guy folds.
    Great advice itt. I just want to point out something about your reads. First, the old guy isn't tight if he's limp/calling 6x with the range you gave him. We can call him passive, but definitely not tight. As an example, my own UTG range has exactly none of those hands. I am clearly aggressive, but I am the classic definition of tight.

As to the kid on your right, you said he has very few hands that crush us. Actually, once there is a bet and your overcall on the flop, and he bets big on the turn, pretty much the only things he has are hands that crush us. By your preflop read, he can have K2s-K4s, he can have 32s, 42s, 43s. And apparently a gutshot like 65 or A5 for that matter. He can call the flop with a piece, in fact you knew this was his game plan, and spike on the turn and take us to valuetown. Pretty much the only hand I can see that we're still ahead of is 54 that is now a pair plus draw, and is hoping to run us off of a hand like QQ.