Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Maximizing value from backdoor flush

WillHungPoker Posts: 72SubscriberProfessional
edited September 20 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
This hand came up yesterday for a $5/$5 NLHE cash game at the Bike. My effective stack was about $750.

I had AdJd from UTG. I raised to $20. Everyone folds. BB called. Pot is $40, heads-up.

No history with the BB player, but he seems like a middle-aged Asian recreational guy.

Flop: Jh 7d 9c
BB checked, I bet $30, BB raised to $60, I called.

I am not thrilled about calling any check raise with a one pair hand, but given the pot odds and backdoor flush draw, and my hand is still good some of the time, I called to evaluate the action on the turn.

Turn: 9d
BB bets $85, into a pot of $160. With the backdoor flush draw and my top pair - top kicker still potentially good, I made the call.

River: 4d
BB bets $100, into a pot of $330. This river bet telegraphed the strength of his hand to be some kind of weak top pair hand. I don't see people betting this small with hands like trips and straights.

I thought for a while and raised to $400. He tanked for almost 2 minutes, alternating between really wanting to call and fold. He asked me if I had overpair. I said nothing. He eventually folded.

So what do you think about my river raise size? Was it too big for this situation?

Also, what did you think about calling his check raise on the flop? What kind of plan should I have for the different runouts?

@Bart and @Captain_Ki, would you mind providing feedback for this hand as well?

Thanks!
William
Tagged:

Comments

• hustlin Posts: 182Subscriber
    think raising like $250-$350. Target value from a Jx ,9x here.
    $400 is slightly large because u get weaker Jx like J10+ to make a fold here .

As played ur line is good. Calling x/r is mandatory given the pot odds and it’s a min raise.

I would play my hand for face value here on different run outs. TPTK is a very solid hand.
  • BartBart Posts: 5,416AdministratorLeadPro
    edited September 21
    @WillHungPoker .. turned paired the 9 right? Just making sure. Because if it did and villain bet say 175+ you probably should only call. Here, his sizing looks like a jack or some sort of trick play with KK or QQ.. Look at the runout all sets plus top two and bottom two pair now beat you. Bart
  • WillHungPoker Posts: 72SubscriberProfessional
    Yeah, that's right. Paired board with potential full house. I agree I need to be careful not to overplay my hand if he bets bigger on the river.
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,264Subscriber
    I think $300 is about right maybe slightly less.