Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Crush Live Poker Video No 359: Classifying Regulars

BartBart Posts: 5,303AdministratorLeadPro
Rob takes a look at how his thought process varies depending on the type of villain.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/videos/classifying-regulars
Tagged:

Comments

• ZambrotAZambrotA Posts: 372Subscriber
    edited September 23
    [Hand #3, AJo]
    I mean, the idea of Range and Nut advantage is great...
    But AJ has so much SDV and blocks JX for example which is a hand we try to fold.
    Having fold a Q or better is pretty ambitious here...
  • RobFarha Posts: 159Pro
    ZambrotA said:
    [Hand #3, AJo]
    But AJ has so much SDV and blocks JX for example which is a hand we try to fold.
    There aren't too many hands AJ should really be ahead of here on a very connected board. I don't get how we have "so much SDV". I thinks its ambitious to check back twice on a board like this and expect to win.

I'd expect to win against some of his KJ, but when he check calls flop you're really going to see Qx quite a bit as well as stuff that makes 2 pair OTT. Maybe this guy specifically wont be turning single Tx into bluffs otr but once I check back the turn and cap myself it's going to be pretty difficult for me to win this pot. We are hoping he doesn't bluff with Tx because AJo is going to be a difficult hero, I would rather turn it into a bluff.

I would also only use AhJx as a bluff here in an attempt to balance out the 16 combos of AK, 9 combos of sets and 3 combos of 2 pair (I probably wouldn't have QJo from MP in this specific game).

We aren't going to have too many combos of the NFD (or any fd) here on QhTx4xJh that make good cbets. On a connected board like this you are going to have to take some one pair hands and bluff with them because it's tough board to have natural air with zero sdv. Maybe some A5hh, A4hh for bottom pair, that's really it.

This is also ignoring the fact that if we don't use AhJx we don't really have any single heart hands to bluff with on heart rivers as a triple barrel (we should be triple barreling value quite a bit here.)

This is a reg that hates to hero call and doesn't want to to increase variance, these guys are very common in every card room I've ever played in. I don't think its ambitious at all to get a weaker reg to fold two pair on a board like this versus two pot sized bets, much less a hand like KQ or AQ or whatever Qx.
  • milkofamnsia Posts: 8Subscriber
    edited September 28
    In hand 1, you say you will check a lot of your range on flops like TT5 rainbow as the 3-bettor as BB vs. button. But in hand 4 with the exact same 3-betting position vs. button, you say you would check almost zero percent of your range on Tc4c4x. What's the major difference on these two flops that polarizes your c-bet percentage so much? Is it that button will have a lot more Tx in hand one versus 4x in hand two? Is it just because it's rainbow vs. two-tone?
  • RobFarha Posts: 159Pro
    milkofamnsia said:
    In hand 1, you say you will check a lot of your range on flops like TT5 rainbow as the 3-bettor as BB vs. button. But in hand 4 with the exact same 3-betting position vs. button, you say you would check almost zero percent of your range on Tc4c4x. What's the major difference on these two flops that polarizes your c-bet percentage so much? Is it that button will have a lot more Tx in hand one versus 4x in hand two? Is it just because it's rainbow vs. two-tone?
    Yes. You basically answered your own question.

TTx is way different than 44x, because the likelihood of caller having a T is significantly higher than a 4. So generally as the 3bettor you're going to want to slow down. The "nut" advantage on 44T is the QQ,KK,AA stuff that I can have and he really cant. On TT4, the nut advantage is obviously Tx and 44, of which the caller will have much more than the 3bettor.
  • ClickingButtons Posts: 5SubscriberProfessional
    I can tell you have worked a lot on your game from previous videos. Please keep it up with the hypothetical discussions that deviate from the actual hand. I get more out of those a lot of the time than the actual hand.

Hand 1 - I really like your check on the flop and don’t think enough players check in this spot when they get there with the bottom part of their range. Just because you have the bottom part of your range doesn’t mean you should be betting every time on seemingly good boards. These players become unbalanced over bluffers very quickly. Obviously you get that, but I see it a lot myself.

Hand 2 - I agree on the turn that you aren’t polar and I really love your sizing vs a good balanced reg. That sizing puts his entire range in a tough spot.

However, my question is about whether you would take a polar sizing vs weaker regs and rec players that are over pair heavy and aren’t balanced. You know the type - the guys who only 3b QQ+. Because if you take a polar sizing you look pretty polar in their eyes. I’m honestly torn with what to do vs that player type. I see merit to both approaches.

Hand 3 - I absolutely love this hand and your reasons for wanting to overbet. This is probably my favorite hand, and its nice to win one.

Hand 4 - Seems like a pretty standard spot, but I’m glad you brought it up. You have to call turn, but clearly fold river. I see a lot of bad regs leveling themselves into calling in similar spots.

Hand 5 - I disagree a tiny bit about the reasoning for folding preflop. I agree that 98s is at the bottom of you opening range, but I don’t think that’s why we should fold. In fact I’d rather call with 98s than even KJs or KQs in this spot. Mostly because you are less likely to be dominated with 98 like you are KQ or KJ with his 3betting range and you are able to cover middling boards. You even mentioned that the 3bettor should be more balanced so he can cover more board textures. For the same reason I think you can call with the bottom and top of you range here and fold some of the middling hands. Overall, I really like the way you played the hand, just a small quibble preflop.

I’m enjoying your videos more and more. Please keep it up!
  • ClickingButtons Posts: 5SubscriberProfessional
    RobFarha said:
    ZambrotA said:
    [Hand #3, AJo]
    This is a reg that hates to hero call and doesn't want to to increase variance, these guys are very common in every card room I've ever played in. I don't think its ambitious at all to get a weaker reg to fold two pair on a board like this versus two pot sized bets, much less a hand like KQ or AQ or whatever Qx.
    Couldn't agree with Rob more on Hand 3. This reg seems very Q heavy, I doubt AJ wins at SD much, but I also believe Rob's line gets folds from a Q a lot and sometimes even two pair against this type of reg.