Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

1/2 5 PLO8 should we pot this flop?

Beatsme Posts: 555Subscriber
All players in this hand are loose to say the least... esp preflop

Straddle mp to 10
Chris makes it 40 (900eff)
I call with A 2 3 7 (900 behind)
Button calls (500ish behind)
sb calls (500ish behind)
straddle calls (900 eff)

Flop (200) A 4 T
Sb checks
Straddle checks
Chris checks
Should i be potting here?

Comments

• chilidog Posts: 2,422Subscriber
    I would take a free card here most likely. We have nut low draw / wheel draw, which are good, but we have no high draw, no counterfeit protection, and no backdoor draws.
  • BartBart Posts: 5,416AdministratorLeadPro
    I would probably check here as well. This is a deceptive flop. All you have is the nut low draw and a gut shot wheel draw.
  • Beatsme Posts: 555Subscriber
    Bart said:
    I would probably check here as well. This is a deceptive flop. All you have is the nut low draw and a gut shot wheel draw.
    You did see we paired our A right?
  • chilidog Posts: 2,422Subscriber
    Yes. Hard to see how A7 can / will be the best high hand with 5 way action to the flop.
  • BartBart Posts: 5,416AdministratorLeadPro
    Beatsme said:
    Bart said:
    You did see we paired our A right?
    Thats pretty weak.. I would rather have 235K here.
  • Beatsme Posts: 555Subscriber
    Ok thanks...
    I did end up checking back.
    Turn (200) 4
    Chris now bets 140 and i just fold...
    Sb called him

River (380) 4
    Chris bets 380 and gets called
    He shows down 456x.

In game it made me think checking that flop is maybe a mistake.

Thanks for the input
  • High__Rolla Posts: 731Subscriber
    I think checking is fine, but I actually like betting the flop here. It seems unlikely that Chris is checking here to setup a check-raise. One of the other opponents could be planning to c/r, but you are likely to have >40% equity heads up and can go with your hand versus one of the $500 stacks.

Betting is likely to get called by low draws and flush draws, which you don't mind with your two-way hand. Note that the ace on the board is a spade, so the nut flush draw is less likely to have an ace. The A7 you currently have for high is weak, but betting may fold out better aces that don't have much backup. It also folds out equity from hands that weren't planning to call any bet such as weak FDs, broadway gutters, and pairs that can make sets. Betting also may give you position, and then you can evaluate the turn to bet again or potentially check back. Ideally, if you don't take it down, you go 2- or 3-way to the turn. Your hand has good equity, but is a lot of non-nut equity and prefers fewer opponents.