Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

The Grind Poker Podcast No.67: When to Take Shots and Being Patient

Craig Posts: 619Administrator
In episode 67 Rob shares some stories of climbing stakes over the years, as well as advice for taking a shot at a bigger game.

Episode Posts at 11 AM PST.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/podcasts/when-to-take-shots-and-being-patient
Tagged:

Comments

• jeo3 Posts: 15Subscriber
    edited November 5
    @RobFarha
    I enjoy the podcast. It really helps one navigate and know what to expect with poker. I was wondering if you could give some examples of the missing knowledge that you gained specifically during the time that you were a break even 1/2 player to a winning 1/2 player. Is it more of a knowledge thing or experience that brought you across that threshold? Also, how long did you beat 1/2 before finally being done with it and moving exclusively to 2/5? I am playing poker part time and want to make it a second income. I currently have logged 650 hours and am break even. Looking to troubleshoot or focus on something but needing suggestions. Thanks again.
    @rob
  • RobFarha Posts: 161Pro
    jeo3 said:
    @RobFarha
    I enjoy the podcast. It really helps one navigate and know what to expect with poker. I was wondering if you could give some examples of the missing knowledge that you gained specifically during the time that you were a break even 1/2 player to a winning 1/2 player. Is it more of a knowledge thing or experience that brought you across that threshold? Also, how long did you beat 1/2 before finally being done with it and moving exclusively to 2/5? I am playing poker part time and want to make it a second income. I currently have logged 650 hours and am break even. Looking to troubleshoot or focus on something but needing suggestions. Thanks again.
    @rob
    Apologies for lateish reply.

Definitely more experience. IIRC there were a lot of spots of me paying off nits, not value-betting when my hand is almost good and don't have to fear a CR bluff ever.

Nowadays it's probably harder than when I did it, games moderately tougher and rake higher but you could of course still build a bankroll from scratch.

Key to live poker is always value, value, value. People VPIP way too much out of tilt, carelessness, boredom and the way to exploit that and achieve the biggest possible spike in your winrate is understand who calls light and maximize your earn versus rec players. A lot of the light 3betting, bluffing stuff is certainly not needed to be a winner, it can just take you up a higher tier of winner.

Focus on improving your betsizing and taking a much more value-centric approach. You will be bored and people will likely call you a huge nit. Many worse regs used to call me nitty back in my Foxwoods 2/5 days and such, I didn't care. I played the style I thought was most profitable for me. Bet/fold is the bread and butter of LLSNL
  • jeo3 Posts: 15Subscriber
    @RobFarha
    Thanks for the reply. I am seeing all the things you mentioned above. Sometimes I feel like if I just never bluff catch and almost always believe someone who takes agreasive action on the turn and river, I would be better off at the low stakes. I loose a lot by bluff catching or calling when getting a price. The following hands illustrate this I believe. Any input is welcome.

Villain1200behind poker zombie prob been playing for 10 hours plus saw him call down with bottom pair against aggressive action.

175effective
    Folds to Hero in CO with
    8♦️ A♦️raise to 10
    Villain calls BTN
    20 Flop 8♣️6 ♠️2♦️
    Hero bets 10 Villain calls
    40 Turn 4♣️
    Hero bets 50 Villain calls
    140 River 2♣️
    Hero checks Villain goes all-in Hero calls
    Villain has K♣️3♣️

300 effective