Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Call Against LAG - right call or Tilt?

Effective stacks 400+- V (LAG) has me covered. 1/2 NL

Villain has been very aggressive, sometimes having it at show down, sometimes having total air, or missed draws...Has me just covered, he's been up and down, lost a few hand recently and is probably down a little for the session. I'm in for 600 (two buy-ins), and have maybe 430 in front of me. Was in a hand earlier with this villain and another player, flopped open ended and flush draw, and bricked on turn (which I bet) and river (which I also bet)....so I may be a little titled re: the main villain.

I'm on Button, folds to V who limps from Lo-Jack, SB & BB are super nitty,
I raise to 13, knowing V has been calling almost any raise less than 20 or so, and he calls.
Flop is pretty good for me...7 9 10 rainbow. V- checks, and there's only 29 in pot..I bet 25, V- calls.
Turn is J...giving me top pair.. XX
River is an A, doesn't complete any backdoor flushes, etc.
There's 89 in pot - rake, and V bets 97......
I tank..he's demonstrated range has been huge, he can certainly have an 8, if another player I'd think maybe 7 8 , something like that...but the over bet feels fishy to me, even the 97...why not 100? I also think the A is a great bluff card.
I did call, and he had 8 4 of diamonds.

Am I good here more than 50% of the time, against this V I think I am, but it still feels spewy, since I admit I only really beat a flopped top pair turned into a bluff

Thoughts are appreciated?

Tagged:

Comments

• Jwhoover Posts: 17Subscriber
    I don’t know what you had and before I read what V had I was coming down to reply that he has an 8 here alot. Also, if we only have a J we need to fold and wait for a better spot. If he is indeed spewy I wouldnt fight over an $80 pot.

I wouldn’t over think the amount of the bet, and takes a certain type of player to do this as a bluff. I am a high level player and in this spot as exploitable as it is, I am over betting the nuts always, and only as a bluff rarely. Sounds like he may have just outplayed you, its a easy fold on the river.
  • 292YBlock Posts: 55Subscriber
    edited November 11
    Jwhoover said:
    I don’t know what you had and before I read what V had I was coming down to reply that he has an 8 here alot. Also, if we only have a J we need to fold and wait for a better spot. If he is indeed spewy I wouldnt fight over an $80 pot.

I wouldn’t over think the amount of the bet, and takes a certain type of player to do this as a bluff. I am a high level player and in this spot as exploitable as it is, I am over betting the nuts always, and only as a bluff rarely. Sounds like he may have just outplayed you, its a easy fold on the river.
    Thanks for the input...

• JohnnyQuads Posts: 1Subscriber
    Yeah all you have is a bluff catcher. When a LAG overbets the river on a scary runout, it's very polarized. Much of the time
    they want to make it look like a bluff but are indeed betting for value
    edited November 12
    Yeah - thinking it through realize any pair worse than mine wants to see showdown, against this V he probably is bluffing more than most .... but maybe not 50% of the time when he has a pair....thanks for the input!
  • neverlearn2 Posts: 2,752Subscriber
    what did u have? Im not calling a lot of rivers here and depenidng on our Jx might even check flop too.

Sorry about that , QJ o
  • kaboojie Posts: 209Subscriber
    edited November 13
    FWIW, based on the pots odds, you only have to be good here like 34% of the time for this call to be breakeven, not 50%. That said, I’d still probably fold to this bet size.
    Yes re: odds... given V history and showdown history, based purely on the odds... not so crazy to call, but when I realize he wants to get to showdown with all his flopped pairs, I agree with the general sentiment ... fold and pick a better spot.
  • neverlearn2 Posts: 2,752Subscriber
    we chop or lose to eevrything

think its an easy fold.