Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

25-50 MGM Springfield - Turn Semi-bluff shove

25-50 at MGM Springfield. Decent enough game. Many regs but there are a few bad players, including an out-of town movie producer from L.A. who is the reason the game is going.

Starting positions and stack sizes:

V1, movie producer, a bit LAG: UTG+1, $25k
V2, loose pre-flop, snug post: MP2, $4k
V3, tight reg: MP3, $7k
Hero, middle aged tourist unknown. Tight image: CO, $4650
V4, tight reg: Button, $4400

V1 makes it 125. V2, V3 both call. Hero calls with AJh. My thinking here was that given stack sizes and likelihood of calls pre-flop if I reraise from the loose players that I would just flat pre and see what the board texture was. If we were deeper I might raise here to lock up position and prevent V4 from coming in on the button.

V4 reraises to $700. I haven't seen v4 get out of line. Believe it or not I don't think he's squeezing here (would be more like $1k for a squeeze I think given likelihood of V1 and V2 calling). My range for him is JJ+ (maybe even QQ+) along with AK.

V1 calls, V2 calls, V3 folds. Given the price I'm getting I call. I'd like to be deeper but 3:1 pre flop in this spot seems worthwhile.

Pot is $3000

Flop is Kh Td 4d

V1 and V2 both check. I don't think there's any merit in donk leading this flop against V4 range and so I check.

V4 checks.

When V4 checks back here I really don't put him on a strong hand (i.e. flopped KK set or AA or AK). Given draw heavy nature of board, stack sizes, and likelihood of opponents to call with draws my guess is he'd bet something like $1300 or so. My guess is he wants to see the turn and evaluate.

Turn is Th. I pick up backdoor hearts, still have my gutshot (although if he has QQ my Q outs are no good), and possibly have 3 Ax outs. Admittedly with the board pairing my nut flush draw isn't but I don't think V4 has a fullhouse given flop action.

Even though board is draw heavy I decide to semi-bluff all-in for $3950. I only have about a pot sized bet at this point so figure no point in something like $2k. I want to place max pressure on V4. I figure he's in a tough spot given he not only has to worry about me but he still has to worry about V1 and V2 behind.

V4 thinks about it for a long time. Finally calls his remaining $3700. V1 and V2 fold.

River is another K. V4 takes the pot with QQ (including the Qh!)

Thoughts? Should I wimp out and see if V4 will give two free cards to the river by checking back turn? I was really focusing on configuration when betting in to V4 with V1 and V2 behind. If we were heads up I'm not sure I like the shove as if I was V4 I would call with my entire range... but since he has two players yet to act he should be able to fold his QQ there especially if he has blockers to some of the flush draws?

A

Comments

• BartBart Posts: 5,411AdministratorLeadPro
    Is this a real hand at 25-50? Reason I ask is because i have never heard of this game going at MGM.

1st of all this is a 3 bet preflop with AJhh close to 100% of the time.

On turn, why not just make a regular bet of say $800-$1000? And leave yourself with about $2800-$3000 to evaluate rivers? It is much more likely to look like you have a king or a T. If you cant fold out QQ to an overbet with players left to act behind the 3! this cant be the right play.
  • quantman Posts: 6Subscriber
    Yes. MGM Springfield Massachusetts.

My gut was $1k would lead to a call and evaluate river by v4 given pot size.
    quantman said:
    Yes. MGM Springfield Massachusetts.

My gut was $1k would lead to a call and evaluate river by v4 given pot size.
    By going $3900 you are repping a T plus here.. And most people wouldnt take that sizing with a T. So it doesnt surprise me that you were snapped off by QQ. Also his QQ block KQ and his call of your all-in forces any Kx to fold behind him. Bart
  • quantman Posts: 6Subscriber
    Yeah I think so. At the time I was concerned that if I went for something like $1300 I would only have $2600 behind which would leave only about a 1/3 pot bet left on river. I didn’t think I’d have much fold equity if I missed. But in hindsight a hand like QQ has a tough time calling both bets vs overbet shove on turn?
  • Superfly Posts: 67Subscriber
    Bart said:
    Is this a real hand at 25-50? Reason I ask is because i have never heard of this game going at MGM.

On turn, why not just make a regular bet of say $800-$1000? And leave yourself with about $2800-$3000 to evaluate rivers? It is much more likely to look like you have a king or a T. If you cant fold out QQ to an overbet with players left to act behind the 3! this cant be the right play.
    Bart, is this a 100% 3B because the original raiser is a laggy rec? What if it was a tight, competent player raising the right range from UTG1? Still 100% 3B from CO?
    Superfly said:
    Bart said:

Bart, is this a 100% 3B because the original raiser is a laggy rec? What if it was a tight, competent player raising the right range from UTG1? Still 100% 3B from CO?
    With the added dead money in there of a call, AJs is usually 3 bet here, yes. Bart