Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Online 25K Wrong Play?

Jack7777 Posts: 651Subscriber
25K Online ITM There are about 80 players left.
Hero 66,000 6th place
Villain 179,000 Chip leader
Blinds 1000 2000
V has been taking a lot of pots playing aggressively. H is second most agg at the 9 handed table.
V UTG1 opens to 4300. Folds to
H BB Js 8h defends for 2300
Flop 9d 7h 6h (11,400)
H check, V open 5600, H raises 26000, V puts me all in and I call.
Turn Td giving me nut str8
River 4h and I am out of the tournament. V has Th 9h

Was I wrong to attack the aggressive player with the largest stack who was running over the table? The check raise I felt had a lot of fold equity. Was it too aggressive to go all in with U/D str8 draw? Should I have thought this out and just shoved the flop?

Comments

• Xboblove Posts: 78Member
    Against a range, you hand was fine. This was a readable situation, villains check raise bias him toward monster made hands and monster draws. Consequently your equity shrinks and reduced to a flip especially with no pair. While you hold a blocker but not the Ah, the math really doesn't skew the combinations significantly enough in your favor to make a straight draw worth going to the mat over. This is a tournament adjustment fold or pot control where it's a more reasonable cash line.

As played it was a spew of 66bbs. You could/should have lost but not a full stack. Your check raise was strong but he had one of the high equity hands and situation that should continue.

It's also better to raise these rags pre but it probably doesn't change anything. Small error.
  • justfourfun Posts: 162Subscriber
    I think you have to play hands somewhat similar to the way you played this hand to win tournaments. The smooth call pre and x/r plan otf is solid play but... your x/r plan goes wrong with poor execution. After your x, V only bets 5600 otf and you come back too heavy at 26,000. 15,000 is the proper amount. V flopped a monster here so he would still shove at you even if you x/r only 15,000. By the way, a smaller x/r amount in this situation looks stronger than a 5x x/r. If you only x/r to 15,000, then you have a decision otf after V’s shove with about 48k in front of you. I think that decision would be clear: fold. But, When the x/r is 26,000 now you only have 37k in front of you with 63k in the pot. Now, a call as a potential 25% dog to a set seems more reasonable. You look so strong when you x/r so a shove by V means he has a monster. So once you x/r to 26,000 your next decision to call his shove is more defensible - factor in a spew by V and call. I would put the V on a set otf here based on the action and while he did not flop a set - his hand is similar in strength.

You ask : “was I wrong to attack the aggressive player with the largest stack running over the table?” I would say that you should not be asking that question. Table dynamics can change quickly. Play each hand making the best decisions you can. Your pre-flop decision was solid. Your check raise decision was also solid. You ask ; “should I have thought this out and shoved the flop?’ I don’t even understand that question, but No.

Xboblove seems confused, you have 33BB. I would not raise pre with a middling hand like J8.
  • Jack7777 Posts: 651Subscriber
    I really appreciate your response! It's been a while since this hand, but I want to respond about some things.
    justfourfun said:
    I think you have to play hands somewhat similar to the way you played this hand to win tournaments. The smooth call pre and x/r plan otf is solid play but... your x/r plan goes wrong with poor execution. After your x, V only bets 5600 otf and you come back too heavy at 26,000. 15,000 is the proper amount. V flopped a monster here so he would still shove at you even if you x/r only 15,000. By the way, a smaller x/r amount in this situation looks stronger than a 5x x/r. If you only x/r to 15,000, then you have a decision otf after V’s shove with about 48k in front of you. I think that decision would be clear: fold.
    **I need to work more on this, raise sizes. I think here I wanted to push V off the pot. I didn't consider he would 3B. The way he was playing, I didn't think he had anything.

But, When the x/r is 26,000 now you only have 37k in front of you with 63k in the pot. Now, a call as a potential 25% dog to a set seems more reasonable. You look so strong when you x/r so a shove by V means he has a monster. So once you x/r to 26,000 your next decision to call his shove is more defensible - factor in a spew by V and call. I would put the V on a set otf here based on the action and while he did not flop a set - his hand is similar in strength.
    **Thanks.

You ask : “was I wrong to attack the aggressive player with the largest stack running over the table?” I would say that you should not be asking that question.
    **I ask because maybe it would have been smarter to go after the other players I was beating. None of them could have made the same plays as V because of their stack sizes. Attack the weak?

Table dynamics can change quickly. Play each hand making the best decisions you can. Your pre-flop decision was solid. Your check raise decision was also solid. You ask ; “should I have thought this out and shoved the flop?’ I don’t even understand that question, but No.
    **OK.

Xboblove seems confused, you have 33BB. I would not raise pre with a middling hand like J8.
    ** I play these type hands sometimes. If I whiff the flop, I'm done. If I hit the flop, I think V won't expect I hit my range for a preflop raise.
  • Xboblove Posts: 78Member
    Yep 33bbs... hero didn't raise though, he defended with a reasonable bottom of range hand. I see folding as fine too.