Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Crush Live Poker Podcast No. 323 "15-25-35 Revisited New School Preflop Thoughts"

BartBart Posts: 5,700AdministratorLeadPro
This week Bart revisits the old rules of 15-25-35 as it relates to implied odds hands and discusses new thoughts on preflop theory as he breaks down holdings into different categories.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/podcasts/15-25-35-revisited-new-school-preflop-thoughts
Tagged:

Comments

• kaboojiekaboojie Posts: 340Subscriber
    edited December 2018
    @bart

Great Podcast! I had a question about 3 betting Suited Broadways. You mentioned in an EP vs MP configuration that QJs is a better 3 bet than call. I play in a 100bb cap buy in game. Do you still think this is true if we are playing with effective stacks at 100bb or less?

Thanks
  • BartBart Posts: 5,700AdministratorLeadPro
    I think that you have to make adjustments for the particular game that you play in. I was talking about how optimal play suggests a 3 bet or fold strategy MP vs an ep raiser or a mp raiser. I don’t think you are losing too much by calling sometimes from MP vs an EP raiser especially if the raise size is large and the pot will be extremely awkward post flop. Bart
  • wbaby Posts: 5Subscriber
    @bart

Hi Bart,

In this episode you specifically mention to not 3bet KQo in Button/Cutoff against late position open because you said you want "blockers but also playable hands."

I am a victim of this because I always 3bet offsuit broadways (AJ/KQ/AT/KJ) in this configuration because I thought we were suppose to use a polarized 3betting strategy in late vs late open situations and to 3bet the top (+AQo, +AQs, +TT) and bottom of our playing range because we don't want to 3bet with a middling hand like QJs and be facing a 4bet.

Instead, you suggest to use hands like A5/65s.

So I ran the equity on Poker Cruncher and it turns out KQo (49.5%) has a raw equity than both A5s (47.1%) and 65s (37.4%) against a HJ open. (I used your preflop HJ opening range chart)

So now I am kind of confused what hands to 3bet in BTN/CO vs Late open configurations.

Can you please explain this?

Thanks,

Will
  • BartBart Posts: 5,700AdministratorLeadPro
    wbaby said:
    @bart

Hi Bart,

In this episode you specifically mention to not 3bet KQo in Button/Cutoff against late position open because you said you want "blockers but also playable hands."

I am a victim of this because I always 3bet offsuit broadways (AJ/KQ/AT/KJ) in this configuration because I thought we were suppose to use a polarized 3betting strategy in late vs late open situations and to 3bet the top (+AQo, +AQs, +TT) and bottom of our playing range because we don't want to 3bet with a middling hand like QJs and be facing a 4bet.

Instead, you suggest to use hands like A5/65s.

So I ran the equity on Poker Cruncher and it turns out KQo (49.5%) has a raw equity than both A5s (47.1%) and 65s (37.4%) against a HJ open. (I used your preflop HJ opening range chart)

So now I am kind of confused what hands to 3bet in BTN/CO vs Late open configurations.

Can you please explain this?

Thanks,

Will
    Have you watched the Preflop version 2 videos in Fast Track by @kilee ? Nowadays we want to be 3 betting linearly with normal stack sizes, polar when dealing with shallow stack sizes. Raw equity in our hand is not what we are looking for in hand matchups. I mean what is A3os raw equity? We want to have playability and suitedness so that we can fire multi barrels on the right types of boards. Bart