Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Easy Fold On Any Other 2/5 Table

IGotTheNuts Posts: 12Subscriber
edited December 2018 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Some context. Table has been very loose with most villians having a VPIP of 40-50%+. Open sizes have been anywhere from 35-50 without a straddle. Now off to the hand.

Hero: ~900

V1: ~1000 (older fairly tight black guy)

V2:665 (middle aged black guy who has shown a propensity to be loose and had tabled a huge bluff like 35 minutes before this and also just attempted to bluff hero about 3 hands before this repping the nut flush when hero held the nut Ace)

Straddle pot and there are 3 limps to hero on the button with Q 5 who calls. SB folds. BB (V2) Calls and straddle checks his option.

Flop: K 10 6

V1 leads for 50 into 60 pot. Folds to Hero who calls. and V2 calls.

Turn is Q

V2 bets 75. Hero calls again.

V1 now ships it for 605.

V2 tank folds. Hero???

Getting ~1.8:1 so I need 35% equity. At the time, these are the value hands I put him on: 66 (figured he'd raise on the flop tho), possibly K10 (again likely raises this), figured he would raise pre with KQ. Aside from AJ off, the other most likely holding is J9. At the same time, figured he could be doing this with any Ax of hearts and possibly some suited heart connectors e.g. 98 (combo draw).
Tagged:

Comments

• Oback2 Posts: 201SubscriberProfessional
    edited December 2018
    Fold pre.

And fold ap
    by 1CycleV
  • IGotTheNuts Posts: 12Subscriber
    I agree. Normally not a hand I play, it was entirely table dependent.
  • Oback2 Posts: 201SubscriberProfessional
    it shouldn’t be played at any table
    by 1CycleV
  • dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,001Subscriber
    Yeah, both preflop and flop should be folds in almost any scenario.

A lot of people think that if everyone at the table is playing super-wide ranges, then one can widen the range of hands one plays. I don't believe that to be the case. Think about it this way - at the lower levels, the majority of our profits are going to come from having a strong hand against someone with a medium-strong hand. Think AK vs AQ on an ace-high board, set vs 2P, etc. When our opponents are playing weak hands, they aren't going to make medium-strong hands very often, so when they do, we need to make sure we have hands that can make strong hands. Hands like suited garbage and offsuit gappers just don't make enough strong hands.

In this situation, how were you planning to make money in this hand? Were you planning to stack the ten-high flush with a queen-high flush? Flop trip-5s and checkraise top pair? When people are playing garbage around you, it is imperative that you stick to the fundamentals, especially preflop. High-level strategy dictates playing the opposite of how everyone else is playing. When the table is super-tight, open up your preflop raising range to take advantage of the nittiness. When the table is super-loose, tighten up and pick your spots to battle against weaker ranges.

As played, seems optimistic to put him on a draw that you are holding a couple of the needed cards. I can't imagine your queen or five are outs. You don't have the 35% equity needed. Fold.
    by 1CycleV
  • CycleV Posts: 967Subscriber
    The famous Limon story applies here:

"I love all of the posts that say disregard everthing I did before I got check raised all in on the river and just tell me what to do now. Its like, “hey Dad its me billy and im in jail. Don’t ask me why I got drunk (standard). Don’t ask me why I drove (yawn). Don’t ask me how my car ended up in a 7-11 (meh). Just tell me how to keep from getting buttfuqqed tonight."
  • IGotTheNuts Posts: 12Subscriber
    Well said dpbuck. Thanks.
  • fishcake Posts: 952Subscriber
    Snap fold turn, fold pre.