Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Pair and Open Ended Straight Draw

292YBlock Posts: 94Subscriber
edited December 2018 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
1/2
200 effective, down a couple of hundred at this point, haven't freshened my stack again yet.
V- Drunk (birthday lady - 60 ish)...was down at least 600...now has about 1,000+ in front of her,has been caught bluffing, also had some miracle show downs, playing at least 50% of hands.

Hero UTG+1 opens with pocket 8's for 14
Folds to V- who calls, heads up to flop
7 9 10 two suited cards, Hero flop open ended and back door flush draw.
Hero C bets 20, and gets raised to 75..

What's my best play?
Spoiler:
I shoved, V had J 8 O

Tagged:

Comments

• Mightt Posts: 1Subscriber
    I think pre flop sizing is way too big. Even in early position no need to go 7x. I think we can reasonably call here and evaluate the turn if the villain is as lose as described there are tons of hands she can be bluffing with no need to fold so much equity this early in the hand.
  • 292YBlock Posts: 94Subscriber
    Typical open in this game is 10+ , just FYI
  • CycleV Posts: 811Subscriber
    I can't imagine we have any FE, but we prob have about 35%, so I think we have to call. I'm not going to like getting shoved on ott, but some cards would slow her down I'd think.

MP2 34.56% 32.28% 2.27% 88
    MP3 65.44% 63.17% 2.27% QQ-77, QJs, JTs, T9s, 98s, T9o
  • Xboblove Posts: 119Member
    edited December 2018
    Not Calling. The problem with calling is her bet size is committing. We're going to the river he'll or high water. We have the correct equity to play, may as well get it in and go for max value and buy a ticket to the river. We all know it's going in on the turn and if the board pairs, we can't call. The only other viable option is to fold.

• PBJTIME Posts: 336Subscriber
    I think preflop raise sizing is fine. I’d prefer a check on this flop. As played, she’s made a committing bet. You’re most likely going to face a jam on the turn. You can view the flop raise as an all-in bet IMO. Yes, you do have a pair and a straight draw but I don’t think you’re getting proper odds to call. I’m fine with a fold on the flop. I’d much rather call with 78 or 98 than 88.
    Xboblove said:
    Not Calling. The problem with calling is her bet size is committing. We're going to the river he'll or high water. We have the correct equity to play, may as well get it in and go for max value and buy a ticket to the river. We all know it's going in on the turn and if the board pairs, we can't call. The only other viable option is to fold.
    So are you saying shove or fold? That is how I looked at it at the time...and she was capable of raising with two overs, plus I block the made hand (which is exactly what she had)

• Xboblove Posts: 119Member
    292YBlock said:
    Xboblove said:
    So are you saying shove or fold? That is how I looked at it at the time...and she was capable of raising with two overs, plus I block the made hand (which is exactly what she had)

I am responding to the comments that calling was a viable line. All I am saying is that fold or shove are the only two correct options.

Even with the blockers, you're losing to top pair+. With the implied odds is a profitable shove but you're going to lose 2/3 of the time. It's a close spot either way and neither is a mistake.

While I view 1/2 as fit or fold, I bias toward fold against big bets but given her image... meh

edited December 2018
    PBJTIME said:
    I think preflop raise sizing is fine. I’d prefer a check on this flop. As played, she’s made a committing bet. You’re most likely going to face a jam on the turn. You can view the flop raise as an all-in bet IMO. Yes, you do have a pair and a straight draw but I don’t think you’re getting proper odds to call. I’m fine with a fold on the flop. I’d much rather call with 78 or 98 than 88.
    Xboblove said:
    292YBlock said:
    Xboblove said:

I am responding to the comments that calling was a viable line. All I am saying is that fold or shove are the only two correct options.

Even with the blockers, you're losing to top pair+. With the implied odds is a profitable shove but you're going to lose 2/3 of the time. It's a close spot either way and neither is a mistake.

While I view 1/2 as fit or fold, I bias toward fold against big bets but given her image... meh

Thanks, I think "meh" as well!