Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Seat selection with Drunky McBlufferson

The Clubber Posts: 110Member
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
So I'm playing 1/3 at a must move game on a fairly sleepy Friday night. The table is a must move. Suddenly a boisterous, inebriated heavy-set guy sits down and sloppily adds his max buy in to the table. His stacks fall over. He has a tangled mess of $100 bills and black $100 chips probably from blackjack. On the first hand, I raise 11 from UTG. He min raises to 20. One guy folds, the button calls. The big blind calls, I 4-bet to 105, new guy calls. button shoves for 120, Asian girl in the small blind shoves for 160. My last 95 goes in on the flop of QcTc9c and drunky calls. He ends up stacking everyone with T7o. Then the must move clears the table. Drunky still wants to play and the Asian girl who just got stacked from the small blind convinces the floor to open a 2/5 game. I abandon my new 1/3 table to get in the new game.

Conventional wisdom says that you want the bad spewy players on your right so you always have position on him and since most money flows clockwise. However, I chose the seat on HIS right. Here's my reasoning - if Drunky McBlufferson is true to type, he will be raising 8-15x pre-flop, betting ridiculous amounts blind before the cards are dealt, etc, and most of the table will be limping, trapping, and generally letting Drunky take the lead. Since most poker players are trained to check to the raiser, being on his left will effectively make me out of position against everyone else, while being on his right will give me relative position on the entire table. Thoughts?

Comments

• AesahAesah Posts: 1,048Pro
    Ya good choice. This is super standard in PLO where I always want to be on the right of guys who like to straddle for 1/10 of effective stacks (or in some cases, their entire stack)
  • JCW Posts: 591Subscriber
    Yeah in PLO this is the seat you want. But in NLHE I would suggest one a few behind him... like if he was in 5 then you take 8 or 9 or 1. As other smarter players will be getting in seats 6 and 7 and 8. You know they will be raising to ISO him or limping in wider to play with him and you can abuse their play along with his. You can make more 3b against them or raise wider with their limps. Plus you will have position in most hands against them.
  • ThatOtherJeremy Posts: 314Member
    The Clubber said

So I'm playing 1/3 at a must move game on a fairly sleepy Friday night. The table is a must move. Suddenly a boisterous, inebriated heavy-set guy sits down and sloppily adds his max buy in to the table. His stacks fall over. He has a tangled mess of $100 bills and black $100 chips probably from blackjack. On the first hand, I raise 11 from UTG. He min raises to 20. One guy folds, the button calls. The big blind calls, I 4-bet to 105, new guy calls. button shoves for 120, Asian girl in the small blind shoves for 160. My last 95 goes in on the flop of QcTc9c and drunky calls. He ends up stacking everyone with T7o. Then the must move clears the table. Drunky still wants to play and the Asian girl who just got stacked from the small blind convinces the floor to open a 2/5 game. I abandon my new 1/3 table to get in the new game.

Conventional wisdom says that you want the bad spewy players on your right so you always have position on him and since most money flows clockwise. However, I chose the seat on HIS right. Here's my reasoning - if Drunky McBlufferson is true to type, he will be raising 8-15x pre-flop, betting ridiculous amounts blind before the cards are dealt, etc, and most of the table will be limping, trapping, and generally letting Drunky take the lead. Since most poker players are trained to check to the raiser, being on his left will effectively make me out of position against everyone else, while being on his right will give me relative position on the entire table. Thoughts?
    If you understand the adjustments the better players at the table will be making to extract value from McDrunky , it still better serves you to be on his left. I like some separation too, as many players will not resist being able to iso with him, even when it means getting out of line with regards to relative position. You should really be able to identify good spots to exploit those tendencies. If drunk is truly that transparent, you shouldn't have much of a hurdle getting value from any position, so you still want the one that realizes the most value consistently against the rest of the players. I think in this case that value would mean being able to react in situations where another player is obviously looking to get in a heads up with McBluff
  • AesahAesah Posts: 1,048Pro
    It all depends on frequencies. If McBluff bets 50% of the time, you act last 50% of the time when you're on his right which is pretty good.

Basically based on stack sizes and how other players are playing, I would probably choose my seat based on whether I would rather limp/3-bet (sit to his right) or limp/call/4-bet (sit to his left), usually being the former