Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

MTT Bet Sizing

MrO Posts: 159Subscriber
I know a lot of MTTers use a 2.5x pre raise and I'm getting used to that. But when would you migrate over to a 2.1x sizing? Also guess you're not supposed to bet 2/3 of pot like cash. Is 1/2 pot size betting still large for MTT on rivers? I have incorporated 1/3 sizing on flop. But not sure what size for turn and river?

As you can prob tell I'm mostly a cash player. I've been told by a few people to really stick to one or the other as not too many are good at both cash and MTT. I have a decent win rate in cash.
Tagged:

Comments

• BartBart Posts: 5,975AdministratorLeadPro
    You have to bet more for protection in tournaments to just "take the pot down" and in general you do this through smaller sizing. You want to risk the least to win the most. Also if you bet too large and value bet the worst hand the loss of chips is worse than the gain from the extra value you might receive. Bart @jonathanlittle
  • MrO Posts: 159Subscriber
    OK, I was playing with a friend and a few times he said I was betting TOO large. I was making 1/2 pot size bets on the river. In cash that's not polarized, but in MTT that is?
  • Xboblove Posts: 120Member
    There are many factors that should reasonably affect early street bet size. 1) Position 2) Effective Stack 3) Flop Texture 4) Blind Level 5) Line 6) Equity 7) Skill of the Field among others.

Any bet from 2.1x to 4x is "reasonable". 2.5/3.0 is the baseline but there are scores of adjustments to make.

A couple of examples are; When the effective stacks are large, larger bets are often more correct than baseline. Late in tournaments, smaller opening bets are generally considered correct adjustments.

On the the late streets there are fewer baseline options. Check, 1/3 pot, 1/2 pot, 2/3 pot and all in. These can be adjusted based on the line and equity.

A half pot bet is generally standard. If you are polarizing, a full pot give or take is the bet.
    by 1MrO
  • justfourfun Posts: 191Subscriber
    So many factors right? I love situations where you bet big to represent a bluff.

I remember playing a $600 tourney at Wynn and at about level 6 or 7 I get in a hand with KK in late position against a LAG pro in the BB with Qx. I raise late position to 3x pre flop and BB completes/calls. When the flop is Q high rainbow and BB checks I decide to take a gamble that BB has a Q and so I bet 100% of pot. I am making this large 100% bet hoping BB has a Q based on earlier hands action involving the BB. The situation felt binary - either BB has a Queen and will call with his monster stack or he doesn’t have a Q and will fold. If he hit the flop hard with a set or two pair... well at least I have KK and basically I am risking a few chips hoping to win a big hand. I get a puzzled delayed call otf by the BB and at this point I am gathering a ton of knowledge about BB ‘s hand. Turn brick and check by BB and I again go 100% pot and get a call. River brick check by BB and now I am really sure of where I am at in the hand and shove 120% of pot. BB tank calls. I double up into the chip lead and finish 5th in this tourney and this hand really helped. Board run out was Q rainbow with small cards. By the river, we are playing a huge hand and BB is betting out if he hit his kicker. It was like I was representing a bluff with such large bets. BB makes a comment after the hand to the effect why are you betting so much with only one pair - to which I responded “because you are basically almost playing with your cards face up.”