Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Tricky spot OOP with QQ

The Clubber Posts: 110Member
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
1/3 NL 300 eff.

Villain is new to table, late 20s / early 30s. He's not a reg in the room but looks fairly comfortable in a poker room. He bought in for 100BB and knows how to shuffle chips, etc.

Pre -flop I raise 15 MP1 with QhQd. Villain is the only caller on the button.

Flop (34) Ks8s3s. I bet 25. villain calls.

Turn (84) Th Hero?

On the flop, I think I occasionally get called by worse (a big spade) and get other hands to fold that have some decent equity against me, while I don't expect better to fold, On the turn, I think villain's range is mainly Kx, made flushes, big spades and sets. Not sure I can bet enough to get villain off a king with a decent kicker, especially if it's a spade. Do I just give up?

Comments

• AesahAesah Posts: 1,048Pro
    c/f I think. Only hands you're beating are floats and AsQx, AsJx, and AsTx which are a tiny part of his range and all have a lot of equity against you anyway. Maybe some pocket pairs with a spade.
  • AcquittalAcquittal Posts: 179Member
    I agree with Aesah: You should check/fold. You don't yet have any reason to believe that this guy would float you with total air, so best case scenario for you he has a twelve-out draw (i.e., AsX), and you only really have one out to improve.
  • ThatOtherJeremy Posts: 314Member
    probably check/fold the turn. If the turn goes check/check, the river can be interesting. Tough to take a really credible line here, but if turn and river don't swamp up the board any further, you could probably get creative here and stab if you felt like the player wouldn't think too deep. Im not endorsing that play, I just think if you manage to get to the river cheap, I sometimes like to test how players navigate a hand in their mind. I can usually tell at this level whether a player makes a sticky call or one based on a guided thought process. Good to know if you're in for a longer session
  • PokerIsFrustrating Posts: 657Member
    Just curious, if we are just check/folding turn why not just check flop. The turn actually does improve some hands that might call flop to spade plus gutshot or spade plus pair hands that might call another bet.

We block kq, and you figure there is some frequency he 3b ak. 2 combos of kts are down as well. He isn't slowplaying a set on that board.

I think you could make a case for betting turn and check/folding a brick river, since I doubt most people would bluff river with busted spades since it looks like you have a king that wants to see a showdown.

If turn goes check check I think you should bet small on river to try to get looked up by a pair + spade. Most guys would bet a king on the turn to protect, so unless he has kx with a high spade he probably doesn't have a king, and even that might bet turn. Very few guys at 2/5 will bluff raise river and if they were going to bluff busted spades you'd think they'd just bet turn.
  • PhulHouze Posts: 200Member
    Any problem w c/c flop c/f turn?