Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Monotone flop

DSPoticDSPotic Posts: 28Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Playing 2/5, six-handed, effective stacks are $490. Villain sat down a couple orbits ago and hasn't played many hands. I know he is a reg but don't know his style.
CO raises to $15, I three-bet to $45 with TT. BB calls, CO thinks a bit then calls. Pot is $135.
Flop is AcTc6c. BB checks. CO bets $50.
What's my play? If I shove, I am betting $400 into a pot of $235, and I'm afraid he will call with all made flushes and fold all else, including Ax and a stiff Kc or Qc. BB could possibly have a flopped flush too, but it isn't likely.
If I min-raise, I might induce a shove from weaker hands (and all the made flushes too). But a min-raise may actually look stronger than a shove to Ax hands.
If I flat, I give a free card to Kc, Qc, Jc. Also if the board pairs on turn or river, a flush might fold to a shove.
what's the best way to play flopped sets and two-pairs on monotone flops?

In this particular case, I min-raised, BB folded, CO jammed. I called. He had Jc9c.

Comments

• marseille Posts: 400Subscriber
    Sigh- the sticky spots capped games put you in! In position in raised pot at these stacks, I probably am raising to 200 to get called by worse (two pair, 66, Kcx, Qcx) If they ship for 250 more, you'll be getting odds to call (over 3:1). If I think the player can't fold/plays scared after flop AND the BB is not capable of making move, I might flat to draw for boat and see what his sizing is on turn. I think two pair plays a little different, simply because there is less equity out there for you and I am much more inclined to call or even fold given position/stacks/players.
  • ThatOtherJeremy Posts: 314Member
    DSPotic said

Playing 2/5, six-handed, effective stacks are $490. Villain sat down a couple orbits ago and hasn't played many hands. I know he is a reg but don't know his style.
    CO raises to $15, I three-bet to $45 with TT. BB calls, CO thinks a bit then calls. Pot is $135.
    Flop is AcTc6c. BB checks. CO bets $50.
    What's my play? If I shove, I am betting $400 into a pot of $235, and I'm afraid he will call with all made flushes and fold all else, including Ax and a stiff Kc or Qc. BB could possibly have a flopped flush too, but it isn't likely.
    If I min-raise, I might induce a shove from weaker hands (and all the made flushes too). But a min-raise may actually look stronger than a shove to Ax hands.
    If I flat, I give a free card to Kc, Qc, Jc. Also if the board pairs on turn or river, a flush might fold to a shove.
    what's the best way to play flopped sets and two-pairs on monotone flops?

In this particular case, I min-raised, BB folded, CO jammed. I called. He had Jc9c.
    I think in these monotone situations, the ranks and relative connectivity of the cards cannot be underestimated as it will be crucial to helping range opponents and guide you at each of your decision points in the hand. In this case, the Aclub here on the flop is so crucial. There will be an (implied) need for non-nut flushes to play their hands much more straight forward in these spots. I think we can rule out a KcXc hand pretty safely. Given the CO opened the pot, the range can be very wide, but we should be ruling out K9 and worse calling because they would be playing a 3bet pot ooP. I think K9 folds here a bit more than Q9 because of worse straight potential. You could argue they were given a decent price with any hand once the BB cold calls. Still, you'd think most worse Kx hands should be folding pre. This leaves KclubJclub and KclubQclub. I think we rule out these hands due to player flop action; In a super deep game, I think building the pot early here with a hand like a flush with redraw to royal is exactly what you want to attempt since the flop is going to be the foundation for all of the biggest actions that might not develop if the board gets nastier. However, in these smaller shallow games, a super nut hand like this is going to get check/called or check raised much more than lead out with. The only other Kx hands that leaves is Kclub10x, or KclubAx, which could take this line. Again, being a non-suited K10 I would see this as a hand a lot of players would just dump to the 3 bet in a smaller game. IMO, by extension, you can use this same rationale to move Vs range away from most QclubX and JclubX hands except Q9 clubs, J9clubs, and the 2 pair combos that flopped a four-flush.

So taking all of that information into account I would feel good about not weighing my opponents range toward a nut flush. This is obv great for me because I know it will be more difficult for players to get too out of line with their actions. I definitely think Vs range should now be weighted towards weaker flushes and pair/2pr+redraw hands with a J or Q. Since you are beating all of Vs non-flush range, I think you can safely call here and see what transpires on the turn. I think jamming here is horrible, and I think raising is less optimal than calling because you aren't necessarily going to get much more information to help you narrow down V's range. If you do raise, youd have to raise-fold or raise to commit yourself...both moves that I think have less value in these capped scenarios. Plus I totally agree that you could induce the BB to check-shove a weaker hand (which you should never be calling in this spot BTW) if you clickbacked. For these reasons, I like the flat. I think bet sizing will be an important factor on the turn. If you flat the flop you only have about 20% of your stack invested, you obviously still have a redraw, I think action here by the V should be very revealing. At this point, its very borderline whether they would continue to bet their non-flush hands. In a shallower game I would tend to see them checked. I think if the turn goes check-check, you can call a river value bet safely most of the time. The turn is so tough to play because at this point there would (assuming BB folds) be 235 in pot, with about 375 behind. Not envious of that situation. Obv some x factors to consider in these spots, but you should probably consider folding to most turn bets just because stack size is going to leave you committed most of the time.
  • DSPoticDSPotic Posts: 28Subscriber
    Thanks--these are very impressive responses.
    I like the flat too, but assuming BB folds (as he usually will), now on the turn we have 235 in the pot with 395 behind. Assume the board does not pair and is not a club, do we fold to any reasonable turn bet? If V bets 125, we are getting express odds of 3:1 and implied odds of 5:1. We have ten outs against a flush, so 3.4:1 odds against. That has to be a call, since V will call 65 on the river (or a shove 1/4 of the time) for sure.
    If he shoves the turn, it comes down to whether he ever semi bluffs here. We are only getting 1.6:1 now, so he has to be semi bluffing about 1/3 of the time to make a call profitable. I think he will do that. My call of 50 on the flop could be with most of my opening 3-bet range, so he has a good chance of folding out Ax and KK-JJ with his shove (and even AA and TT if we aren't calling!). So it looks like he should shove any club on the turn if we flat the flop.
    Does that mean optimal line is to call flop and call any turn?
  • Mike Posts: 371Member
    I assume you are on the btn?

Generally people play very straight forward on mono boards. With him donking into the PFR i would imagine that he is going to have a non nut flush a high % of the time here. I dont know how often he would donk with AQc but i dont think it will be very often. I would call here and likely call the turn depending on the sizing and try and fill up. Live players dont like to fold flopped flushes so try and draw out then get the money in.

Also dont include results in your post since it will sway peoples opinions on the hand.
  • DSPoticDSPotic Posts: 28Subscriber
    Seems reasonable. I was on the Btn, yes.
    Btw I didn't give the result in OP... I turned a boat. ;-)
  • Mike Posts: 371Member
    villians hand is the result. board runout doesnt matter.