Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

AA88 flop NFD on paired board

1/2/5, Sat afternoon, not a great game. Played with V1 for about 90 min. Very wide pre, but seems pretty competent post. Haven't seen any noticeable mistakes, and he has raised some flops and took it down. He covers the table, tbh playing crap hands pre and getting paid. V2 and V3 are on tighter side, shorter stacks, nothing impressive about them. Hero has $585, pretty tight, probably nothing impressive about him either. Chatted with V1 a bit, he's on my immediate left, so I assume he thinks I'm not a drooler.

One limp, V $15 (his standard open with 0-1 limps), H AA88ssdd, double dead man's hand! Hero 3! to $50. (I meant 60 but miscut my chips. Yes I'm a dope.) BB, limper, V1 call.

Flop ($200) 955dd, checked to hero.

V2 and V3, they'll c/r gii if they have a 5, but they don't have a ton back, they started with about $300 each. I'd just be committed. V1, he could c/r much wider. I could give him a range wide enough (any 5, Kxdd, and all kinds of SD) that I'd probably be committed if he c/r as well.

With all that having been said, do we bet this flop? If so, how much? TYIA
Tagged:

Comments

• TerpHimselfTerpHimself Posts: 302Subscriber
    edited January 8
    You cover the best draw to c/r semi-bluff a prospective AAxx hand, so you're pretty much facing trip 5's+ if you get any action at all. MAYBE V1 gets OOL with a 678x type of holding, but you block that hand too with 88.

So if we check this flop we are fading pairs that would've folded to a flop bet, but we could induce bluffs, over flush an opponent, or still have the best hand if say T9xx makes two pair on the turn. An A is kinda a bad value card for us, but we of course lock up the hand with that.

I check this hand back OTF for pot control, b/c we're never getting it in ahead with your first two V's, and V1 is more likely to try and bluff certain turns if he's wide and aggressive.
  • CycleV Posts: 1,141Subscriber
    edited January 8
    Thanks @Terp. I wasn't sure about the value of overflushing vs giving the free card to random pairs, or possible GS draws. If we're HU this is an easy value bet, correct? And 3 way, say V1 and one of the nits, still stick a bet out there?
  • High__Rolla Posts: 775Subscriber
    You could bet small on the flop for some equity protection, but I agree with Terp that this is a good hand to check back. You obviously don't fear the flush coming and one of the straight filling cards (8) makes you a full house. And, checking may induce someone to stab at the pot or overplay an inferior flush on later streets. It also gives you a free chance to catch one of four outs if someone slow played 5xxx.
  • High__Rolla Posts: 775Subscriber
    CycleV said:
    Thanks @Terp. I wasn't sure about the value of overflushing vs giving the free card to random pairs, or possible GS draws. If we're HU this is an easy value bet, correct? And 3 way, say V1 and one of the nits, still stick a bet out there?
    I would probably play it the same way if 3-way. Heads up, it depends on how sticky you think the opponent would be with an overpair or weaker FD and how likely they are to stab later in the hand.