Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

5-5 Volume 2A 3 quick hands..

BartBart Posts: 5,725AdministratorLeadPro
edited January 15 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Hand 1

UTG (250) opens to $20, MP1 (nitty Asian, $1k) calls.. MP2 loose rec calls ($500) Hero (covers) has A K in CO and 3! to 110.. shockingly UTG and MP2 both call!! In retrospect I’ll go a bit larger in these spots.

FLOP: T 8 6

UTG moves all in for $130 into $350.. Mp2 hems and haws and says “man I’m stuck now”.. and I don’t interpret this as strength calls. Pot is $610, $130 to call.. Hero?

Hand 2

UTG older Persian guy limps, me to $25 +1 with 88, BB (loose) calls, limper calls both w $600 stacks.

FLOP: K K 4
Check, check, I bet 35, fold, call.
TURN: T c/c.
RIVER: 3 check.. Hero?

Hand 3

HJ ($400) limps.. Hero raises to $25 K Q button, sb ($500) calls, HJ calls.

FLOP: K 7 6

C/c I bet 45, sb folds, HJ raises to $120, I call.

TURN: 7 HJ bets $120.. Hero?
Tagged:

Comments

• geemondc Posts: 27Subscriber
    Call hand 1. Bet 1/2 pot hand 2. Hand 3 raise 3x
  • 292YBlock Posts: 94Subscriber
    Hand 1. which MP1 calls the flop? "MP1 (nitty Asian, $1k) calls.. MP1 loose rec calls ($500)"
    Hand 2. bet thin - maybe about 50
    Hand 3. A check raise and a lead on the turn....I'd probably call since you have position, that turn bet with the same sizing always seems like a slow play to me
  • JT_ Posts: 2Subscriber
    Hand 1 doesn't that say the MP1 is both nitty and loose? If he is nitty my concern would be what could he open with, call a 3bet to me means strength. So I would fold.

Hand 2 bet half pot

Hand 3 if that game is like the ones around where I play the villian has K7.
  • kaboojiekaboojie Posts: 360Subscriber
    edited January 12
    H1 not sure what the open was. 20? If so, I’d go 120. If oop, maybe 140. OTF, Price too good to do anything but call.

H2 prob just checking back. Not many worse hands calling a bet that we beat.

H3 call and evaluate. Based on texture, V looks like more bluffs combos than value bets.

Taking a second look at H2, we can target 55-77. 1/3 psb.
  • BeauMoore Posts: 8Subscriber
    edited January 12
    Hand 1: Half the deck gives us equity on the turn. Getting over 4.5 to 1, seems like straightforward call I think.

Hand 2: First thought check back but really no reason not to get some thin value from something, even if he cant have much. How about $50?

Hand 3: I think I'm folding without feeling too bad. He's got only got $140 behind in a $555 pot with our call, I feel like we should treat the turn as an all in. Can we look at it more like $575, $260 to call instead of $435, $120 to call? Although he could have a few straight draws, probably thinks you never have a 7. I definitely think if we go with this hand we can only shove.

• ds2uared Posts: 181Subscriber
    Hand 1: Let me know about my logic here, but hand 1, I fold. First, there are 3 advantages to calling, 1) good price, 2) position, and 3) the K s: . There's a good chance if it runs out blanks you'll get to the river.

But if you're up against 2 players who between them have a pair, a draw, or combos of the 2, you're really far behind with no fold equity to get heads up. Against combinations of 2 players with pairs, straight draws, flush draws, and combos, AK is about 18% here, which is about the price you're getting (I'm sure I could find some other percentages but it gives a ballpark of equity).

Additionally, there is no more value to be had from hitting your hand. An Ace or K is not going to get paid with another player all-in against a nitty Asian who you don't believe to be strong.

Last, there are reverse implied odds if he is willing to call when one of those cards hits. You are basically paying a straight price and some reverse implied odds when you have to call a river or value-own yourself. So, at the table I fold here. Against more competent opponents, I might have to rethink that.

Hand 2: I think there's some value to be had in the $50 range for sure. You'll get some crying calls.

Hand 3: What he said.
    BeauMoore said:

Hand 3: I think I'm folding without feeling too bad. He's got only got $140 behind in a $555 pot with our call, I feel like we should treat the turn as an all in. Can we look at it more like $575, $260 to call instead of $435, $120 to call? Although he could have a few straight draws, probably thinks you never have a 7. I definitely think if we go with this hand we can only shove.

by 1CycleV
  • BartBart Posts: 5,725AdministratorLeadPro
    Sorry guys, it was the loose MP player (now MP2) that made the call in hand 1. I've adjusted the OP. Bart
  • 292YBlock Posts: 94Subscriber
    Hand 1 is probably a fold for me, the all-in feels like either a made hand or the nut flush draw. He is the original opener, and called the 130 3! hands like A 10 A J A Q spades in his range..if we think the main pot is lost can we move forward?
  • PokerIlluminati Posts: 38Subscriber
    Hand 1
    I would fold. Assigning range of MP1 QQ-66,ATs+, A5s-A2s, KTs+,QTs+,JTs,AQo+,KQo (10.1%) and MP2 range QQ-22, A2s+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs+, J9s, J8s, T8s+, 97s+, 86s+, 75s+, 64s+,53s+,43s+ (25.3%.) I think you would hear from AA and KK preflop.
    After the flop showing AKo at 25% vs opponents ranges that I constructed. Getting 5-1 on a call knowing the remaining $350 MP has is going in on the turn.

Hand 2
    Check river. Our hand is strong enough at showdown.

Hand 3
    Hero calls and reevaluate on the river. Calling a river bet if a club does not come off.
    PokerIlluminati said:

Hand 2
    Check river. Our hand is strong enough at showdown.

Your going to make my head explode, bud, with that comment!!
  • Xboblove Posts: 119Member
    edited January 14
    Hand 1 - my bias is to fold for 2 reasons. A) we have more bets to play through to the river and B) we're playing to a pair in what looks to be a bloated pot/wet texture. There is a certain segment of the population that could be chasing a big pot with a draw and if both of those players were that type, I could peel one and see what happens next.

Hand 2 - Odds are this guy has a pair and is playing defense. Can we push him off it? This is read dependent, in a void, not going to assume so. He could have AX hand some percentage of the time but even so, I shut down and take the equity here.

Hand 3 - this line could be a flush draw or monster 2pr+ polarized. I call the turn, see a river.
  • WillHungPoker Posts: 84Subscriber
    @Bart For hand 2, I would bet $50 into $145. People that open limp tends to be fishy players and fishy players will call too much against this 1/3 pot-sized bet with just about any pair. Give this a try.
    Spoiler:
    Hand 1 I called. Turn was a T.. c/c and river was a T. Mp1 bet and I folded should T7os for quads. I think I almost always see two card here when I over call flop so I dont hate my call. Never saw what UTG had.

Hand 2 -- I bet $45 into $145 and got called and I was good. You have to make these types of value bets if you want to increase your winrate.

Hand 3 -- I ended up jamming the turn and he snapped with 67os.
  • kaboojiekaboojie Posts: 360Subscriber
    @bart I assume you were ok with the way you played H3?
    kaboojie said:
    @bart I assume you were ok with the way you played H3?

Hand 3 is the closest and I will discuss on the podcast. Not sure if I am supposed to be folding or just going with it.
    Hand 3 is a common spot that comes up a lot, like flopping top pair with a good kicker and get check raised on a board with multiple draws (K67 two clubs). I think against weaker players and loose passive players, I don't like calling their check raise. They just don't bluff often enough. If their range are two pairs, sets, and combo draws, top pair is actually in very bad shape.

• JS84 Posts: 17Subscriber
    WillHungPoker said:
    Hand 3 is a common spot that comes up a lot, like flopping top pair with a good kicker and get check raised on a board with multiple draws (K67 two clubs). I think against weaker players and loose passive players, I don't like calling their check raise. They just don't bluff often enough. If their range are two pairs, sets, and combo draws, top pair is actually in very bad shape.
    I think folding flop is too weak here, since I think players are capable to doing this with a combo draw or a pair + flush draw, as well as their 2 pair+ hands. When villain fires the turn I lean between a call and fold since I think some players will check to get a free card and some will continue betting, but almost all players will bet trips+.
    I ran PokerCruncher using the following assumptions:
    K7s (2 combos), K6s (1 combo), 77 (3 combos), 66(3 combos), 76s (2 combos), 11 combos total for value
    Tc8c, 9c8c, 9c6c, 8c6c, 6c5c, 6c4c, 5c4c, 5c3c, 4c3c, Ac6c, Ac5c, Ac4c, Ac3c, Ac2c for flush draws, 14 combos

Against this range, equity for Hero's KhQd on Kc7c6s is only 32.5%. I tried adding all 89s and 45s for OESD and it's still only 38.8% equity.

Of course, if we have a read on the villain that he only continues to bet his value hands (2 pairs and sets) and check everything else if he miss on the turn, then we can make a confident call on the flop. But it seems like a dangerous assumption to make, and the math seems to suggest we are in an awful spot.
  • fishcake Posts: 917Subscriber
    Hand 1 I would overcall flop because we’re seeing a free river a lot with 6 outs.

Hand 2 I think river is an easy value bet in these games but you gotta go tiny like $35-$55.

Hand 3 I’d fold the flop without information very often. You’re in bad shape against many unknowns check raise ranges. They’re saying they can beat AK and that’s what these donks always put you on. His sizing is also concerning. If he had made it say $90-$100 I think it changes things a lot where he’d be more skewed towards worse Kings. Now that you got to the turn it’s a tough spot because you wouldn’t expect many players to bet a boat. And for those of you saying he has a 7 he literally never does.....
  • fishcake Posts: 917Subscriber
    BTW I’m curious for all you that say go with hand 3 what range you think we beat with this line. I can confidently tell you the number of times I’ve seen this be a hand we beat with this line is low in all the hours I’ve played at this level.