Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Mental poker books

I was looking up different mental poker books, and I am not sure what one to get. I was looking at Tommy Angelo's book: elements of poker and Jared Tendler: The mental game of poker. What would people recommend? should i get both? or what other book(s) should I look into?

Comments

• grindbler Posts: 131Member
    Tao of Poker
    the Mental Game is a must read.
    Tommy obv

I actually think any poker player (or anyone for that matter) would benefit from reading and studying Aristotle.
    the logic thing...
  • jeffreyneuman Posts: 19Member
    It's a older book but very worth the read , The Psychology of Poker by Alan Schoonmaker published by Two Plus Two .
  • grindbler Posts: 131Member
    Ok, you made me look through my stack...
    ] Inside the Poker Mind, John Feeney 2+2
    ] Poker Winners are Different Alan Shoonmaker
    ] Your Best Poker Friend '' ''
    ] Your Worst poker Enemey '' ''
  • TDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
    Follow @DalaiLama on Twitter. He gives sick good poker tips.
  • Doug Hull Posts: 15Member
    Not sure how I managed to not read Tommy's Elements of Poker for all these years, but it is solid. I just got it last week, it is a quick read, mostly very short write-ups of ideas. Many of the ideas are powerful enough once stated that they really do not need a lot more text.
  • SkinnybrownSkinnybrown Posts: 286Member
    Jared's book is dope.
  • Fish Fryer Posts: 161Member
    Skinnybrown said

Jared's book is dope.
    Agreed. Great book.
  • Do you guys think that Tendler would make a good guest? The episodes I have done with Tommy weren't my favorites, not that the information wasn't good but rather that I have never had emotional control problems with my game and haven't had to face the issues that he discusses in his work.

Bart
  • shmed Posts: 321Subscriber
    Bart, Jared did a few interviews with Jeremiah Smith on Cash Plays after you left -- I bet you can find them on-line for you to check out.

I am trying to remember what I thought as it's been a while -- I think he is fine but would prefer your regular discussion to more on then this topic, especially if you won't find it as meaningful as an interview and it's been well covered by Jared, Sam (don't remember the last name but the guy working with Esfandiari), and Tommy Angelo in other podcasts.

I would love to see you interview Ed Miller -- I know this has been suggested elsewhere. Would be very interesting to get your take on Playing the Player, lots of interesting stuff, e.g. his discussion on combating bet-folding.
  • Fish Fryer Posts: 161Member
    Bart said

Do you guys think that Tendler would make a good guest? The episodes I have done with Tommy weren't my favorites, not that the information wasn't good but rather that I have never had emotional control problems with my game and haven't had to face the issues that he discusses in his work.

Bart
    I would enjoy listening to that episode. Although I haven't really had emotional issues at the table, I still find listening to anyone that is at the top of their field worth listening to. Along with poker, Tendler has worked with some pretty top notch golfers. I can't believe he doesn't have something of value to add. I've read hs book and found it to be pretty interesting.
  • SkinnybrownSkinnybrown Posts: 286Member
    Bart said

Do you guys think that Tendler would make a good guest? The episodes I have done with Tommy weren't my favorites, not that the information wasn't good but rather that I have never had emotional control problems with my game and haven't had to face the issues that he discusses in his work.

Bart
    I believe Jared is coming out with a new book now/soon so he probably has new ideas/concepts that would be valuable to me/us.

Especially If...

those concepts...

deal with...

DOWNSWONGS!
  • Bart said

Bart
    Definitely. Although he specializes in making specific gameplans/mental tips for individuals. So it might be kind of vague information for the masses but it's still always interesting to hear him talk.
  • CajunDragonCajunDragon Posts: 173Member
    Tendler +1

Book starts a bit slow but then really hits close to home. Some of the chapters felt like they were written just for me.
  • MattyB Posts: 66Subscriber
    Jared Tendler's book is hands down the best book mentioned on this thread. It's helped me out a ton, and I have often referred back to it over the past 2 years or so since purchasing it.

Another book that hasn't been mentioned here is The Poker Mindset by Ian Taylor and Matthew Hilger. While nothing beat's Jared's book, I think it's a good second fiddle. It's a little older, but I remember it helped me out greatly a few years back before I got my hands on Jared's book. It's definitely worth a read.

As far has having Jared on the podcast, I'm sure he'd make a great guest, but I would recommend to you all to go ahead and just listen to his own podcast. He got rid of it for a while, but it's back now and I obviously highly recommend it.