Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

miss play set?

nahcretep Posts: 108Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
3/5 game, villain is loose passive, a lot of limping in early position. hero been raising a bit, but been losing few small hands. ( been playing for about 40 min, not much history or saw show down from villain )
villain limp UTG ($900 ish), I ( about $700) raise $25 to 10,10 UTG+2, mid position calls , villain calls.
flop K109 rainbow($75), villain checks, I cBet $50, caller folds, villain check raise to $160 i call, (feed back for if I should raise here, as if I raise, Im commited).
turn is JK109, still rainbow, villain bets $250 I call.
river is 8JK109, villain shoves for $425 ish, I fold......

I think my biggest problem is the flop....is it the spot where if he flop the straight, i just chalk it off as a cooler if I raise and commit my self?in this session, I thought I was playing good, and decided to play call line to make better decision on the turn and river. as played I thought he never bluffs river, but might over play set of 99....
thanks!

Comments

• ThatOtherJeremy Posts: 314Member
    nahcretep said

3/5 game, villain about 100BB is loose passive, a lot of limping in early position. hero been raising a bit, but been losing few small hands. ( been playing for about 40 min, not much history or saw show down from villain )
    villain limp UTG, I ( about $700) raise $25 to 10,10 UTG+2, mid position calls, villain calls.
    flop K109 rainbow($75), villain checks, I cBet $50, caller folds, villain check raise to $160 i call, (feed back for if I should raise here, as if I raise, Im commited).
    turn is JK109, still rainbow, villain bets $250 I call.
    river is 8JK109, villain shoves for $425 ish, I fold......

I think my biggest problem is the flop....is it the spot where if he flop the straight, i just chalk it off as a cooler if I raise and commit my self?in this session, I thought I was playing good, and decided to play call line to make better decision on the turn and river. as played I thought he never bluffs river, but might over play set of 99....
    thanks!
    I think raising flop is fine here. Continuing this hand ooP isn't very desirable given the texture of the flop. You're only losing to KK and JQ, so his likely range is mostly pair+gutshots. As you say, if he has it he has it this is a premium spot for you to get the money in on the flop at this depth. If he is limp/calling from EP often, broadway hands hit his range hard. I don't see how he could play 99 this way on turn and river when the four-tos will always look him up. Given his position, he can eat you up if paint cards come. That's exactly what he did, though I think given the action pre you should be beat a lot here.
  • nahcretep Posts: 108Subscriber
    HI jeremy, I was in position if that makes a difference, but I agree that i should be stacking off here more often.. if I do re-raise, should I be shoving here or min raising? either way i, telling him I am commited....
  • ThatOtherJeremy Posts: 314Member
    nahcretep said

HI jeremy, I was in position if that makes a difference, but I agree that i should be stacking off here more often.. if I do re-raise, should I be shoving here or min raising? either way i, telling him I am commited....
    Sorry-I did miss that you were in position. I think being in pos makes a call on the flop more palatable, but I still like the raise on flop. If you did just call and the turn makes the one-wire to make his straight, he should check it back to you much more than he leads out (hoping for the C/R). You can check behind and then evaluate the river. As far as bet sizing, its a question of his likely range . I would feel here he has a pair and GS a lot. If he has K+gutshot Its hard to imagine this hand folding. Also two pairs. Basically I cant see too many hands he would bump 3xx that didn't have solid equity on this board. So I would think a jam here would get looked up often, though I would got for the less variant route and just make it like $400, and I am not folding once this happens
  • Mike Posts: 371Member
    im sorta confused on the stack sizes in this hand. In the first line you say villian is 100bb deep and then later on in the hand you say he is $700 deep. If hes 100bb deep to start the hand just jam the flop. It will be a shove for 475 into a pot of 450. If he is 700 deep i still think a shove is the best since a lot of cards kinda suck for you 9,T,J,Q,A are all bad and could kill your action vs a majority of villians range which is TP+GS. I dont like given the impression that i am commited unless i can still actually fold. If you raise smaller villian will assume your stack is in play so he wil be able to call the smaller bet and still get your whole stack if he hits. I dont think the sizing matters here as i can see villian calling 400 with hands that he would fold for the full amount.
  • nahcretep Posts: 108Subscriber
    my bad the other caller pre was about 100BB, I remember the villain has little more the me, that was the reason I wasn't sure if I should raise the flop, or if I do, how much.
    cool thanks for the feed back. I guess I was worry since he wasn't too aggro during the session and this was the first check raise I saw him do.
  • Mike Posts: 371Member
    Think of how many hands villian is going to think are super strong on this board. Not just the straight. KT, 99, 9T, K9, maybe even AK,KQ,KJ. he could even ch/r with hands like j8 and 78. There is just so much stuff in his range that we have absolutley smashed. And we still have 7 outs and 10 outs on the turn to fill up.