Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

$2/$5-$50 Spread limit Tahoe

NicholasK Posts: 237Member
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
V1-$195 SB loose passive trying to recoup some of tonights losses
V2-$360 BB loose aggressive/passive aggression seems to go through the roof when less that $200 behind. Seems to play just about any draw as if he honestly thought J high flush could be the nutz. First time playing Tahoe
Hero-$600 UTG/Straddle I've opened up my game as the table has been getting shorter and am playing most of my hands in position and very aggressively. I really have no clue how to play this form of poker.

Game: Dealer's choice mixed game. This round is Tahoe. 3 hole card flop/turn/river hi/lo game where only the button and SB have much experience, they still don't have any clue of it's adjustments either. You may use 0,1,or 2 of your cards. It's also a split pot game which means it's an uncapped $2/$5 game with max single bet/raise of up to $50, but no other cap involved. It's 3am, and we're down to 4 players, everyone else is there trying to "catch up" (I pulled out $500 earlier when switching tables)

Pre:
Hero $10 straddle (KclubQheartJclub)
3 flats, Hero raise to $60
Button Folds,SB calls,
BB repops to $110
Hero Calls, SB Calls

I choose to straddle because the guy on the button is tight passive and so I usually have the effective last action. I call the reraise because I have what I think is a very strong high only hand and I want to see the flop in position.

Flop:$335
10clubJheartQdiamond
SB checks BB raise to $50, Hero raise to $100*
SB all in for $85 BB repops to $150 telling hero he has the 9K for a straight. (pot $670/$50 to call) Hero calls

I raised to $100 because OESD+2pair+backdoor clubs seems strong but don't I don't want to be passive when I know SB is pot committed and would raise $35 AI if I flat.

comments for every aspect of this hand would be nice.

Comments

• ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,085Subscriber
    So I am not familiar with this exact game but I can comment on generally in split pot games.

Firstly.. Most players play only for one side and when you have a game that can be split you want to have hands that can scoop or win both sides. The only caveot to this is when you get short. when there are fewer players high hands go up in value because you have to qualify to make a low but there is always a high hand..

In general I tend to limp with high only hands because when I scoop there cant be a low on the board so I dont mind getting as much dead money in there as possible. But again I am not that familiar with this variation of poker.

Having had the action you got pre and with this board I am actually a bit surprised that no one is playing low cards? When you have top two pair and an oesd to the nuts you are not folding to basically one $50 bet. your equity is too high. BUT I would not have raised.. If you had a wrap where you had more than just 8 outs THEN I would have raised..

Given the fact that villain is trying to get you off the hand by saying he has K9 is fabulous imho.. He probably doesnt have the Broadway draw and you can still get a Q or a J for a full house. I would just call but raising isnt that bad either.. Its not like raising pot in a PL game and having to get it in with two players who have your outs. Here its a big pot and its only $50.. Kinda like a $50 limit game..

If you turn a club then I would keep calling but if you believe the guy really has K9 he isnt folding so I am not sure what the value is on raising. I would have to calculate the odds.. lets see assuming 9 outs to flush , 2 outs for each Q and J and 3 nines (since V says he has one) and 4 Aces.. of course this is assuming no card elimination.. that totals 17 I think. Now with having three hole cards instead of 2 does that change the 45 unseen card rule? I am not sure so lets just make an assumption.

If you have say 15 clean outs and we keep the same 44 cards for the turn you can see that you will have better than a 1 out of 3 chance in hitting your perceived nuts.. so you only need to get 2:1 on the bet. You have this already so I would go ahead and raise if you get the backdoor club to start building the pot with so much equity.

Now if you dont have nut clubs or you are only calling to chop as all in villain has broadway then you are still calling but to only break even..

ww
  • NicholasK Posts: 237Member
    Thehammah said
    Having had the action you got pre and with this board I am actually a bit surprised that no one is playing low cards? When you have top two pair and an oesd to the nuts you are not folding to basically one $50 bet. your equity is too high. BUT I would not have raised.. If you had a wrap where you had more than just 8 outs THEN I would have raised..
    I have a hard time in the large preflop hands because postflop it plays like limit. I didn't need to raise here because my whole stack wasn't opened up by the SB probable shove so taking a weak line vs the BB was no problem.
    Thehammah said Given the fact that villain is trying to get you off the hand by saying he has K9 is fabulous imho.. He probably doesnt have the Broadway draw and you can still get a Q or a J for a full house. I would just call but raising isnt that bad either.. Its not like raising pot in a PL game and having to get it in with two players who have your outs. Here its a big pot and its only $50.. Kinda like a $50 limit game..
    He'd honestly told his hand a few times tonight when the pot got big and he didn't want to be sucked out on, hoping to avoid seeing any more cards or putting more money in the pot. He never folded after announcing his hand though. It was greatlaugh
    Thehammah said If you turn a club then I would keep calling but if you believe the guy really has K9 he isnt folding so I am not sure what the value is on raising. I would have to calculate the odds.. lets see assuming 9 outs to flush , 2 outs for each Q and J and 3 nines (since V says he has one) and 4 Aces.. of course this is assuming no card elimination.. that totals 17 I think. Now with having three hole cards instead of 2 does that change the 45 unseen card rule? I am not sure so lets just make an assumption.
    That was my plan but the hand got uninteresting after the flop. Turn:JdiamondRiver:Kheart BB ended up showing his K9 SB mucked