Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Bet/fold tough spot?

JCW Posts: 591Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
I was just in a strange spot where I didn't know what to do.

A player that normally raises to $35 with good hands, raises to $35. Stacks are about $400+I call oop with 88.

Flop is K 9 3

I check and he checks. Now this check is very polarizing to me. Base upon history he would cBet a lot here. Even QQ to TT. Not 100% but I discount theses hands. He either has KK, 99 or a discounted AK. He also has a lot of misses with AJs type hands.

Turn is 8. Giving me set. Also puts out BDFD.

I bet $55 as I want to get value for a lot of those discounted hands, some draws he picks up and some calls because of my image. He calls.

River is an Ace. I think some of his range hits this. I bet $135 and he calls. I show and win.

Here is the thought. When I bet I saw he had about $200 left. I was worried about the slow played some but I realized due to sizing I really couldn't bet fold here. He could have picked up 2p and thought he was good. AK and A9 were possible although discounted. It just seem like I didn't have any clear actions.

Checking left a ton of money on the table. Betting snap call seems like a natural but he was a guy to slow play.

Anyhow it seem an interesting spot. With theses stacks I am just going broke, but if we were deeper? It just seem like a muddled spot.

Comments

• ThatOtherJeremy Posts: 314Member
    So this is button vs you in blind? Unless you limp-called, itd have to be LP vs LP...which IMO makes his turn check less polarizing. It also means you should be able to work K9, 33, KJ-KQ back into the mix. If he check/calls 2nd best wired pairs sometimes I would want to leave hands like 1010-QQ in there too. Check call on the turn probably lets us eliminate the 2 pair hands, nothing a set would be too scared of but I would still think he would want to get value from bigger hands, as K should easily be able to continue in this spot. By the river I would feel that he has a hand like JJ, QQ, Kx most of the time. Weird to check all of these but again he could have a weaker king and just decided to check/call. AQ is the nut no-pair on the turn. Not sure how he views hands like that when the flop goes check/check. Feel like you could have jammed the river easily, the A should be a good card for his hand. Bet seems reasonable to me, snap calling for the price is fine seeing as you still beat a lot of the hands he could slow play give the LP dynamic. If you were deeper, I still think a bet/call is reasonable given that you have great relative strength against this runout.
  • JCW Posts: 591Subscriber
    ThatOtherJeremy said

So this is button vs you in blind?
    He was MP and I was SB. It is less about the action to me than the strange spot on the river due to sizing. Bet/Folding seems a mistake. Checking seems a mistake. Just due to stack sizing, I just bet and call. I think he could raise with worst often enough.
    ThatOtherJeremy said

which IMO makes his turn check less polarizing.
    He is polarized because that is how he plays. He makes a lot of cBets with most hand but big hand. He cBets nearly 100% unless he has a big hand or a total, total wiff. It is a stupid style but I accept it.

So when he checks that flop, yes he should have more given up air than big hands but not that much more. His normal play HU is to cBet and give up on turn.
  • whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    JCW said

He is polarized because that is how he plays. He makes a lot of cBets with most hand but big hand. He cBets nearly 100% unless he has a big hand or a total, total wiff. It is a stupid style but I accept it.

So when he checks that flop, yes he should have more given up air than big hands but not that much more. His normal play HU is to cBet and give up on turn.
    JCW,

I think if you can narrow down villain's range to very nutty hands and absolute air, a check on the turn is much better than a bet. You hope to get a bet out of his air, and you want to keep the pot small vs. KK / 99. By betting yourself, you will fold out most of his air.

With the river being an Ace, I might actually check the river again for the same reasons (unless villain doesn't bluff much at all).
    When I showed the hand he was very upset and talked about how Lucky I got. So my guess is he either had AK or K9. As later in the evening he talked about losing his 2p.
  • PokerIsFrustrating Posts: 657Member
    A on the river imo makes it an even easier bet/call because ak might shove on you. If the river is like a deuce and he shoves (given your reads) it is k9, kk or 99 and k9 might not shove back depending on the river card. But if he never has aa just combinations wise he has more ak than kk/99.