Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

$1-$3 turn top 2 & get check-raised

irwinbetirwinbet Posts: 383Subscriber
Game: $1-$3, $300 cap
Table is 7 handed
Preflop: I open to $12 UTG1 with 9 8. CO & both blinds call.
Villain in this hand is in the BB. I am the effective stack with $350. I've only played with him a time or 2 before so not a lot of reads but I do remember that he will peel flops with overcards & 2nd pair type hands.
Pot: $45
Flop: 8 7 2. Checked to me & I bet $25. Only the BB calls & we are now heads up.
Pot: $90
Turn: 9. He checks to me & I bet $45. He check-raises to $125. The pot is now $260 & we have $265 left. What's your play & why?

Comments

• cubbies95y Posts: 9Subscriber
    edited February 9
    (Disclaimer: I’m still learning)

I don’t see many bluffs here. AT/KT of diamonds maybe, if he’s capable? He shouldn’t have overpairs. Maybe he could have 97? A lot more combos of 65 and JT then that though, plus sets.

I think this is a fold all day.
  • GlennJones Posts: 147Subscriber
    edited February 9
    IMHO, kind of a tough spot. In the games I play (2/3, 1/3 NL in L.A.), a turn CR is never a bluff. If we look at the value combos that he can have here - 56 (16), 97(6), 87 (6), 99 (1), 88 (3), 77 (3), 22 (3).

What about overpairs (99, TT)? Would he check raise an overpair on the turn? I haven't seen that move very often. Same question with JT - how ofter is he peeling the flop with two overs and a gutter?

I think I would fold in this spot. The way I would look at this, I would be ahead of only a few value combos and would be drawing pretty thin against the rest.

I guess another option would be to call turn. You're getting a price and coul end up binking gin.

FWIW, I faced an almost exact spot last night with bottom two, called off a flop CR and a turn all in and was shown top and bottom on a K35 front door diamond board.
  • kaboojiekaboojie Posts: 360Subscriber
    V could have JT ,65 or sets, but he could make this move with T9, 97, or 87, maybe even some diamond draws. I would need a pretty solid read to be able to fold here. Against the general population at 2/5 and lower, I think folding top 2 here would be a losing play. I would call. If river is a brick, I'm likely calling a shove as well. You will lose a fair amount, but in the long run, top 2 wins here enough to be +EV.
  • ds2uared Posts: 265Subscriber
    I think you can call on the turn and let yourself be exploited by folding the river when he shoves it. You're going to see a lot more checks up front on the river than you think. And when he bets he always has it. You'll be getting about 3:1 on the river, but you'll never be good 25% of the time when he shoves. And you have at least 8% equity in perfectly clean outs.
  • irwinbetirwinbet Posts: 383Subscriber
    Spoiler:
    I took a few minutes before deciding to shove. Didn't really like calling with this SPR & thought that if I am ahead there are some river cards that could kill the action.
    He then took a couple minutes before folding JJ face up. Funny thing was that he accused me of overplaying my hand (I didn't show).
    I said "you check raised JJ on the turn & I'm the one who overplayed my hand?"
    by 1MrO
  • PiggyPiggy Posts: 135Subscriber
    irwinbet said:
    Spoiler:
    I took a few minutes before deciding to shove. Didn't really like calling with this SPR & thought that if I am ahead there are some river cards that could kill the action.
    He then took a couple minutes before folding JJ face up. Funny thing was that he accused me of overplaying my hand (I didn't show).
    I said "you check raised JJ on the turn & I'm the one who overplayed my hand?"
    Don’t tap the glass!