Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Play a Hand w Garrett on LATB $10-$10 $100 ante game..

BartBart Posts: 5,791AdministratorLeadPro
edited February 16 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Game is 10-10, $100 BB ante. It is being played like a double stakes Tuesday ante game. Common opens are to $200..

Ramsey (22k) UTG limp, Jack ($4k) limp +1, David ($4.4k) limp CO, Garret (covers) $300 sb K K, UTG folds, +1 calls, CO calls.

POT $1020 FLOP: A J 6

Garrett checks, Jack bets $300, David calls, Garrett calls.

POT $1920 TURN: J

Checks through.

POT $1920 RIVER: 5

Whats Garrett's play here? If you saw the hand please don't divulge the results.
by 1MrO

Comments

• HavaxHavax Posts: 65Subscriber
    I suppose you're going to say we can x/r and force everything to fold except 66. They should be capped at QJ since AJ and KJ are blocked so hard and QJ shouldn't be able to withstand a x/r. Not having Ks is good for us because it's less likely they will have a bricked flush draw in our range if they do have the Ks themselves.
  • kaboojiekaboojie Posts: 360Subscriber
    Before I comment here, can someone give me the lowdown on Jack and David's tendencies? Are they competent, complete birds or somewhere in between?
  • TaylorC Posts: 2Subscriber
    kaboojie said:
    Before I comment here, can someone give me the lowdown on Jack and David's tendencies? Are they competent, complete birds or somewhere in between?
    Jack is a total spot. VPIP in the 40’s/50’s. Calls down with middling pairs and isn’t very aggressive. I don’t have any feedback on David. I have never played with him, just Jack.
    So my normal low level peon approach in this spot would be to check and call any reasonable bet. The draws all missed so I can see someone taking a shot with missed spades or a hand like QT.

That said, maybe the better play is check with the intention to c/r. Jx isnt too likely as these hands should be betting the turn to protect against draws. AJ may check, but I doubt AJ is limp/calling pre. The benefit of check raising is you will likely push a weak Ace off of their hand. Beyond a weak Ace, I dont see what hands are beating us here.

With this in mind, maybe coming out and bombing the river is our best play. This should also push a weak Ace off and we don't have to depend on a bet from one of the V's to get it done. As I write this and think about it, I think overbet on river is the best play. Our 3 bet pre range looks pretty strong on this board.

Lead for 2200-2300 on river.

I have not seen this hand yet. These are my thoughts only.
  • Superfly Posts: 170Subscriber
    I’m known to bluff, so I tend to get called if I bet big after x/calling flop and checking turn. So I myself wouldn’t turn my hand into a bluff on the river.

X/r flop and betting turn if called in one spot is interesting option and should get many players off Ax’s that aren’t suited spades. V is blocked from having AK or AJ.

But I think cbetting flop ($500) and turn ($1200) accomplishes the same thing for less. If called or raised on turn, I’d give this line up vs competent V.

As played I’d check river and call a bet depending on V, bet size and read.
  • worldbofree Posts: 4SubscriberProfessional
    Why do I remember Garrett being last to act in this hand? BTW David played straight up TAG on this show with maybe a little less emphasis on the aggressive.
  • BartBart Posts: 5,791AdministratorLeadPro
    worldbofree said:
    Why do I remember Garrett being last to act in this hand? BTW David played straight up TAG on this show with maybe a little less emphasis on the aggressive.
    Garrett was in the Sb for sure. First to act.
  • smaug81243 Posts: 19Subscriber
    We are pretty much the only player left who has many jacks in our range and KK has very minimal showdown value. Makes perfect sense to turn our hand into a bluff and to utilize a large sizing as we would with our Jx. I tend to use massive sizing so when our opponents are capped/have way less nutted hands in their range and would bet between 3k and all in (opponents only have 4.5kish).
    by 1Bart
  • the_dude_abides Posts: 326Subscriber
    But given preflop action, can he rep a Jack? I’ve never watched a BB ante game before, so don’t understand typical raising ranges pre, but I would think in SB you generally want to be stronger than KJ to make it 300 pre.
  • smaug81243 Posts: 19Subscriber
    the_dude_abides said:
    But given preflop action, can he rep a Jack? I’ve never watched a BB ante game before, so don’t understand typical raising ranges pre, but I would think in SB you generally want to be stronger than KJ to make it 300 pre.
    We certainly should have plenty of TJs, QJs and KJs combos at worst. AJ is a little less likely as we probably raise most on the flop or turn. Wouldn’t be surprised if we have some KJo hands as well.

@bart Is the reveal for this hand going to be discussed in this week's podcast?
    edited February 20
    Spoiler:
    Garrett bets $3000. Jack folds 8 3 and David thinks for a second and fold ATos
    I think that this is a superb job my G rightly recognizing that he really is the only one that can have a J here, and that his opponents have AT, at the absolute top of their range due to preflop action. 99.9% of players won’t turn KK into a bluff here as an upfront overbet. But in this spot against these players I truly believe it was the right play. I made a YouTube video about this and it will come out later this week.
  • Superfly Posts: 170Subscriber
    @bart. Couldnt CO who limp calls pre have QJs or JTs? Seems more likely to me than SB raiser having a jack. Or are you saying David would definitely bet it on the turn if he did?
    ^^
    I don’t think Jx is checking the turn. They would want to bet for protection against fd and bw straight draws.
    Superfly said:
    @bart. Couldnt CO who limp calls pre have QJs or JTs? Seems more likely to me than SB raiser having a jack. Or are you saying David would definitely bet it on the turn if he did?
    No way David is calling with a jack as second pair on the flop and then checks through the turn vs two player if he trips up when Garrett overcalls flop. Bart
  • maphacks Posts: 1,992Subscriber
    edited February 21
    pretty sure we should not call the flop here. it's very likely someone has an ace and our two outs aren't clean. I acknowledge the price is good but without the Ks, I don't think we can make that call.

as played, I think we have to overbet. bottom range and we can rep a good amount of Jx, maybe AQ/AK.

Here is my take on the hand in question:
  • jjbooey Posts: 7Subscriber
    Somehow, someway..get Garret to make some clp vids/podcasts
    jjbooey said:
    LOL very doubtful that that is going to happen. He did do a small live series on Run It Once like 4-5 years ago. Maybe 3-4 videos. bart
  • jjbooey Posts: 7Subscriber
    Bart said:
    jjbooey said:
    LOL very doubtful that that is going to happen. He did do a small live series on Run It Once like 4-5 years ago. Maybe 3-4 videos. bart

Did you/anyone else here watch those vids? Still relevant today etc?