Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Defense vs bad reg flop sizing

MrO Posts: 127Subscriber
edited February 17 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
I understand the 1/3 size c bet. And then also what I should be defending against as well. (At least I think) But what about old school, with all the bad regs who raise 4x and it goes 3-4 ways to a flop and they bet 3/4 pot. It feels like they are scared and want to win the pot now. They do this consistently not with just their "good" hands. They forget poker is about winning money not winning pots. What part of my range should I be defending against? 2nd pair good kicker? No more back doors? Less floats? Then does it put almost 0% x/r on the flop? So just flat and play turns aggressively? Like when PiO says you have a 5% raise on flop it's really 0% for our sake? @kilee

Comments

• kaboojiekaboojie Posts: 323Subscriber
    I think your questions(s) are a little too general to give specific answers to. Generally speaking though, we would want to float or call with our decent bluff catching hands in position. This includes weaker top pair hands and stronger second pair hands as well as strong draws. In multiway pots, we want to give up more of our marginal hands with players left to act.

I also see a lot of old school recs and regs who like to bet 3/4 to pot size on their cbets. Without specific reads, we will have to give up more hands against these players.

As a rule (this is from one of Bart's older vids) we can call/float ip when facing a 1/2 psb with somewhere around 25% equity. This is basically 2 overs and a bdfd or a CLEAN sd. If we are multiway with players left to act behind, we need stronger hands to call or know that the players left to act are passive and not apt to raise. The key thing to remember is floating ip is much much better than floating oop.

I try not to exercise the newer gto type concepts like betting 1/3 on dry boards unless I'm playing someone who I know is competent and studies the game. Against most recs, I'm often betting 1/2 psb either for value or as a bluff. I will alter my sizings according to flop textures (mostly just bigger on wet boards) but that's about it.

I don't know if these comments are answering your questions, but I hope they help.
  • MrO Posts: 127Subscriber
    Yes, this was what I was thinking. Was very broad and more of a theory question. Thanks
  • kaboojiekaboojie Posts: 323Subscriber
    One more thing to add, if we are facing an ep open and are in a multiway pot (say 3-4 ways) with a mid pocket pair like 77 or 88, I think we can prob bet on the larger side (3/4 or so) if the rfi checks on a low brd. This would be both for value and protection on a dynamic board.
    by 1MrO
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,287Subscriber
    Read Ed Miller's books and Janda's books on this. Poker's 1% and Advanced NL.

Basically you look at the odds you are getting for a bet. Then you construct a range to call/float with vs their bet. So when someone bets 1/3rd psb in a single raised pot you should be calling wider. When they bet pot you should be calling tighter. But you need to do the homework on this.

As a general over + backdoor is at the bottom of your range or 2 backdoors.
    But that range is actually larger than one thinks if you run the #s. Like sometimes you float with a really bad backdoor with no FD backup AdTh on J65ssc board. Read the books do the homework.