Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

2/5 playing vs 3bets OOP

TDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Hero(1200) opens AQo UTG to 30. Utg+1 folds. UTG+2(1200) 3bets to 80. All fold to hero. Hero folds.
UTG+2 is very wealthy and very experienced recreational player. He plays laggy and not afraid to put money in the pot. Can run big 3 barrel bluffs with little to no equity. He views hero as professional math oriented winning player. His 3betting range is reasonably wide and includes TT+, ATs+, AJ+, KQ.
Is this fold very bad, bad or meh? What other options would you consider with your plan for postflop play?

Comments

• ThatOtherJeremy Posts: 314Member
    Just meh. Nothing much to speak of. He raised , you folded. Although everything you say about him seems to indicate you would want to look him up here most of the time with the stronger parts of your range. Here you're folding AQ utg to a single raise when you are sufficiently deep to call, against a player type who could easily 3bet you with hands you have good equity against.

Its fine here to call or fold. Post flop, being ooP I wouldn't try to do anything fancy , esp against a player type as you described. Balance is important though, because you are simply going to have the best hand here too much to always fold under the same circumstances.
  • His range is probably tighter than what you said, UTG+2 vs UTG.
    I would fold and avoid playing a big pot oop vs a tight range.
    And even if hes got a wide range, it will be very tough to play oop vs an aggressive player.
  • fishcake Posts: 937Subscriber
    Hate AQ vs. 3bets OOP. Easy fold.
  • whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    If you are confident that his 3betting range is THAT wide, (which I would doubt, since you have opened UTG and he is sitting UTG+2, but it's certainly possible), and you think he perceives your 4 bet range as very narrow (like it is for most players at this level), you can profitably 4bet / fold as a (semi-)bluff IMO.

There are a lot of hands in his range which he can't really continue with if you 4bet (and cbet most boards in case he does flat-call).

If his range is more narrow, you have to fold. Calling OOP is the worst option if he is decent.
  • DavidChan Posts: 1,208Pro
    If you think Villain has a wide de-polarized range here that includes a lot of hands that AQ dominates, I would 4-bet small to $200 for thin value.
  • TDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
    Thanks David. I agree that 4bet is better than call but I was worried about making big mistake vs his 5bet shipping. I think he might ship TT+,AK but I'm not sure.
  • whatsyourplay? Posts: 752Member
    I don't know anybody that is 5bet shoving TT for value vs. an UTG opener at 5/5. And I don't think JJ is likely either.
    Also, most players tend to just flat once they get afraid of a very premium hand, so it's much more likely that he will flat than reraise a hand you beat.
  • NachoMacho Posts: 70Subscriber
    if you both were closer to the btn like say MP and CO then i think this would be a lot closer to a 4b/f if he has a depolarized 5b range. If he is truly capable of 5b shoving an UTG r/4b with TT then he is going to get destroyed because I just don't see him beating any utg 4b/c range. I agree that flatting is the worst option. I would just fold to his 3b.
  • The Clubber Posts: 110Member
    David Chan said

If you think Villain has a wide de-polarized range here that includes a lot of hands that AQ dominates, I would 4-bet small to $200 for thin value.
    I would disagree here. If you are going to add more hands to your 4-bet range, I would rather use hands like T9s in the bottom of my range than hands like AQ or AJs in the middle of my range that are easily dominated by his calling range. That way I know I'm bluffing and it's easier to release rather than stack off when I flop TPTK and find out I am drawing thin.

In this spot, when i'm playing my best I fold and move on to the next hand. Also, try to get a seat change. Playing with this guy 2 your left is going to suck.
  • The Clubber Posts: 110Member
    The Clubber said
    David Chan said

I would disagree here. If you are going to add more hands to your 4-bet range, I would rather use hands like T9s in the bottom of my range than hands like AQ or AJs in the middle of my range that are easily dominated by his calling range. That way I know I'm bluffing and it's easier to release rather than stack off when I flop TPTK and find out I am drawing thin.

In this spot, when i'm playing my best I fold and move on to the next hand. Also, try to get a seat change. Playing with this guy 2 your left is going to suck.
    Oh shoot, I just realize I disagreed with David Chan. Maybe I should re-think this :)
  • Mike Posts: 371Member
    AQ plays a lot better than 9Ts vs his calling range.

1) you have A and Q blocker
    2) you likely have at least 30% equity
    3) when he does call and you flop some type of hand you are very likely ahead
    4) villians will still call with a couple hands that you have dominated (AJs, KQs)
    5) You cant get overflushed.
  • DavidChan Posts: 1,208Pro
    I only recommended 4-betting AQ because the OP described Villain as having a 3-bet range of TT+, ATs+, AJ+, KQ. Against this kind of depolarized range where we have 50% equity with AQo, I think 4-betting small for thin value is best as long as Villain doesn't fold ATs, AJ, and KQ to a small 4-bet.

If the described Villain is a c-bet monkey who auto c-bets the flop with his whole range, then I would prefer calling to CR bluff J-high or lower flops while C/C call down TP on Q-high and Ace-high flops to induce multiple barrel bluffs.