Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

JJ 3-bet thin river value gone wrong?

Garland Posts: 119Subscriber
edited February 21 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Encore $2/$5, $200-$1500 buy-in. Effective stack ~$700

Villain in this hand is very loose pre-flop. Average aggression post-flop. As an example in a previous hand, he cold-called a 3! to $65 pre-flop with K T in the SB.

My hand:

Pre-flop ($7): LJ (villain) limps, HJ raises to $25, CO calls, I 3-bet $80 with J J on button (I think I should raise a bit more). Only LJ calls.

Flop ($217). Q 7 6. Check check

Turn ($217). 9 check check

River ($217). 7 check, bet $50, raise to $150, hero ???

Comments

• kaboojiekaboojie Posts: 360Subscriber
    Maybe V has shown aggression and loosness in other spots, but depending on the position of the pfr and the number of callers, I can see some situations where V could 3! KTs.

I agree your 3! should be bigger. I'd go 100/110 here.

I think you could take a stab ott. Maybe 100

AP - I would call. Your river bet sizing looks weak and could induce bluffs.

by 1CycleV
  • JLBJ Posts: 141Subscriber
    Bet the turn. As played, call river. Think your small sizing could induce a bluff.
    by 1CycleV
  • OMGitsWorm Posts: 272SubscriberProfessional
    In position standard raise is 3x the open plus what the Open was for every caller. So I would make it around the $100 mark.

On the flop heads up I would bet small for protection. You are blocking the QJ combos as there is only 1 combo of QJ suited. Yes there other combos of Qx that beat us but a small bet is ok. Queen is in your 3b range QQ, AQs and partials if you 3b KQs, QJs. There are also plenty of Ax and Kx that have missed and you don’t want the V to get a free turn if they would of folded to a 1/3 pot bet on the flop.
    You decided to check and that’s ok.

The turn I think you need to continue to check to since you did that on the flop. A 9 on the turn only helps your range if you had 99 in your 3b range. If you do decide to bet for protection I would size small around 1/3-1/2 pot. your hand is kinda face up in this spot since checking the flop. But you can and should get some folds from weak holding.

River hmmm. V might not have bet just waiting for you to take a stab since your hand is face up JJ, TT or an Ax type of hand. Check Raising as bluff can put that range of hands in an uncomfortable spot. In my game I wouldn’t do it as a bluff as I’m getting called to often versus getting it through. Your getting 4:1 on a call and need to be correct 1 out of 5 times. Your getting a great price but in the game I play I fold against most of the population. Unless it’s a tilted, someone who has been caught bluffing, tricky get out of line player currently playing that way.
    by 1CycleV
  • Maximilian65 Posts: 34Subscriber
    A limp/calling range from upfront is typically a small pair. He's repping a full house here. How often to people check raise as a bluff in $2/5? Player dependent of course especially in Vegas, but if this is the type of guy who plays as sloppy preflop as you had described, I'm folding.
  • CycleV Posts: 854Subscriber
    Bigger pre, as played there's no reason why you can't bet either flop or turn. I'd call river, his line doesn't make a lot of sense though I can see him saying yours doesn't either.
  • Garland Posts: 119Subscriber
    Spoiler:
    I'm not sure what betting the turn really accomplishes as if I'm ahead he probably has just a few outs. Granted I'm protecting my equity. In retrospect, I should probably fold to the river check-raise as I think he's never bluffing despite the odd line. He showed T 8 for the turned straight.