Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

how much to 3bet PF ?

TDF Posts: 1,130Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Is it ok to have 3betting range of QQ+, AK in typical loose passive low stakes game ? Do you do any light 3betting at all?

Comments

• chilidog Posts: 2,427Subscriber
    I will sometimes 3bet light in position in fit or fold games where I am sure I won't be 4bet without being beat. A lot of times if u want to isolate a player or just play your hand heads up vs a multiway pot. Hands like 88 have a much greater chance to win unimproved in a heads up pot, than multiway. Again, I usually am thinking about 3betting these types of hands in position.
    Hands like AQ or AJs are decent hands to widen your value three bet range (blockers).
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    As they say.. " it all depends"...lol...

Tonight I actually flat called wtih QQ against really tight UTG raiser.. I was hoping for a good board to check raise.. but alas the A hit the flop and I just check folded.. he showed me an ace..

Last week against a player I knew was raising light in pos I actually threebet with QJ hearts from the sb.. cbet the flop and he folded..

I tend not to three bet light but I would say you can if the player is laggy but don't do it against someone who is very tight and likely to call.. I have three bet big a few times lately as a limp reraise with Ax suited when I have limped utg repping a big hand. I will do this against a player who raises my limp and there are callers.. Good squeeze spot with AA blocker and if no one threebets they dont have big hands and laggy raiser has to worry about players behind..

food for thought

Wendy
  • Doug Hull Posts: 15Member
    TDF said

Is it ok to have 3betting range of QQ+, AK in typical loose passive low stakes game ? Do you do any light 3betting at all?
    You do not need to have a three-bet lite range, but it does add value to your value range. How is that possible? Imagine Nitty McNitterson, mayor of Nit town. When he 3-bets your UTG raise in UTG+1, you have a pretty good idea what he has. Hint, it comes first when you arrange the hands alphabetically. You can safely fold to him. He does not get value for his AA.

Now, Nitty decides he is loosening up, adding AK to his 3-bet range. Suddenly he either gets incorrect folds from KK, or called by KK when he has AA. By widening to his range, he can add value.

The question is, why do you want to 3-bet? Value is a very typical reason, and the most common. But there are other reasons. Maybe you want to win the pot right now, and you think a raise can do that. Maybe a fit or fold nit has limped in and you are on the button. My raising range includes hands 27-o. Why? If Villain has shown the ability to limp fold pre, I have good reason to believe I will win it right there. A c-bet on just about any flop will often take it away. Do I do this often? No, because the chances of the right villain limping in alone while I have the button is small. If my image is right though, I will take that line every chance I can. It will not be often enough that he will notice the pattern and make the appropriate adjustment.

I would read Ed Miller's _Playing_The_Player_ it has, among other things, an excellent chapter on 3-betting. It is more about why and when than it is about the ranges.
  • UntreatableFPS Posts: 1,004Subscriber
    My general rule is that if people don't open light, don't 3-bet them light.

Another problem with doing it light in loose-passive games is that most players get stubborn and want to see a flop anyway so you're not going to win the pot pre-flop very frequently. And you're just bloating the pot with a mediocre hand.

If the game is generally loose-passive and there's one player who likes to iso-raise, then I that player is a great candidate for 3-betting light.
  • SkinnybrownSkinnybrown Posts: 286Member
    I three bet light against opponents that are thinking players and are opening a wider range preflop.