Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

$2/$5 Aces Multiway

ds2uared Posts: 180Subscriber
In some lineups I play against, I literally size up with big pairs from EP. I'll often get multiple calls and they don't seem to differentiate among my smaller raises and larger. It's a ridiculous exploit but it works in my games. Anyways.

$800 cap late afternoon. Villain 1 plays loose preflop and is not afraid to get his chips in light. Villain 2 is on a heater but seems to be generally a loose, passive rec.

Hero ~$1,450
V1 ~$300
V2 >$2.5k

Hero raises utg A A to $35. HJ calls. V2 calls OTB. V1 calls from the SB. BB calls.

Pot $168 Flop 9 3 2. Check, check. Hero bets $60. HJ folds, V2 calls, V1 calls, BB folds. 3-ways.

Pot $348. Turn A . V1 checks, Hero...

Tagged:

Comments

• LatvianMissile Posts: 15Subscriber
    Would bet about 350 and look to jam river on any non heart. If reraised, I may fold it. Ah is not a great card since V could have 45 or hh. But if V as as loose as you say a 9 is easily in his range, or he could be floating with overs.
  • Xboblove Posts: 119Member
    I go into stack defense here. On this flop texture and not holding the Ah-Qh we block nothing. With 2 callers we have huge playable equity but we're on thin ice. I don't want to get blasted off my draw if the nuts is out there. Tricky REGs if they have a flush will check through the turn for deception and bet the river. I check call the turn and reevaluate the river.
  • the_dude_abides Posts: 325Subscriber
    edited March 24
    If you are going to exploitatively size up pre because everyone is calling, I would probably tighten up pre and size up with all hands I raise. Selectively sizing up with only high pairs will be noticed even by rec players.

I would probably bet this spot, but on the smaller size as the Ah is a scare card for the value hands you are targeting with a bet. The only exception to this is if someone is holding Kh specifically they may call a larger bet, but I still prefer smaller sizing maybe half pot or slightly under. If you are raised, it’s a simple implied/pot odds calculation to decide how to respond.

Expect other players to be somewhat straight forward with how they respond to a bet because the pot is still multi way.

• kaboojiekaboojie Posts: 360Subscriber
    I agree with the_dude_abides in that we should not change our pf open sizing based on hand strength. My sizing will depend on number of limpers and sometimes on my position. If we are at a table with some sticky players, I would just start sizing up all my raises pre.

Bet enough to put V1 all in. If V2 calls, I prob just try to get to showdown as cheap as possible if unimproved. If V2 raises, we have a decision to make that would be based on what we think he could raise with.
  • CycleV Posts: 811Subscriber
    If these guys are stations/loose, your flop bet should have been so much larger.

As played I'm c/c turn.
  • ds2uared Posts: 180Subscriber
    @cycleV. Once the size in absolute dollar amounts goes up a bit, they will fold some of their more marginal holdings. So, a big bet might scare them away. Additionally, even versus preflop stations, 932 with 2 hearts doesn't hit a lot of their ranges, so I elected to size small. T82, 653, J86, I would have bet somewhere around $110-120. My player pool is not particularly large, so I have solids reads on them.

I decided to bet this turn $250. I did so to put size V1 all-in, but in retrospect that doesn't make any sense.

Spoiler:
    Hero bets $250. V2 folds. V1 calls with 3 3 .

• Superfly Posts: 144Subscriber
    I take it board did not pair on river.

Agree with comments that you should size according to position but not hand strength pre.

Agree with comment to size up cbet on flop. FD + 4 Vs warrants larger cbet IMO.

Turn is way ahead way behind spot. Suggest checking to see river cheaply.
  • ds2uared Posts: 180Subscriber
    @superfly
    We ran it twice. J×. for me first, heart for him second.

@KiLee, in this hand H hits top set, but 3-card FD also comes in on turn vs 2 Vs with no blockers. Is this a check or bet on turn? I was thinking check since way ahead, way behind. But is it better to bet for value/protection/information? If so, how much?
  • KiLeeKiLee Posts: 249Pro
    @superfly my instinct is to check here. The flush AND the straight got there. Plus 2 villains called the flop. Vs one weak player I would consider betting. When we cbet 5 way flop and get 2 callers, I think that this hand plays better as a check. And I agree with uniform sizing preflop. Size up with entire range, but don’t vary raise size for hand strength. I think the flop sizing is fine. We want to size a bit smaller in a multi-way pot. We can go up to 50% pot but I wouldn’t go bigger.
    Thanks, @KiLee. I think that many in the forums (including myself obviously) are under the impression that we should cbet bigger on the flop in multiway pots and wet boards. Sounds like you are saying the opposite. Can’t remember if you addressed this in Fast Track, but might make a good topic to cover in a future video. As always thanks for your prompt, helpful replies.
  • kaboojiekaboojie Posts: 360Subscriber
    Superfly said:
    Thanks, @KiLee. I think that many in the forums (including myself obviously) are under the impression that we should cbet bigger on the flop in multiway pots and wet boards. Sounds like you are saying the opposite. Can’t remember if you addressed this in Fast Track, but might make a good topic to cover in a future video. As always thanks for your prompt, helpful replies.
    I was also under the impression that down betting was more for heads up pots, and we should size up multi-way. My thinking was that in multi-way pots, betting for protection was more important because there are more cards that can change equity verses a heads up pot.
  • KiLeeKiLee Posts: 249Pro
    kaboojie said:
    Superfly said:
    I was also under the impression that down betting was more for heads up pots, and we should size up multi-way. My thinking was that in multi-way pots, betting for protection was more important because there are more cards that can change equity verses a heads up pot.
    In multiway pots betting larger doesn't make sense when a multitude of players might have sets/two pairs/straights, etc. It's also harder to get action from worse made hands when we have over pair type of hands. For getting value and for "some pot control" it makes sense to size smaller in multiway bloated pots. Similar to how we size small in bomb pots. We also size small in bloated 3/4bet pots.