Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Folding AQ pref on the button to a signal raise

Red Posts: 13Subscriber
edited November -1 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
I got this pro buddy's who is a big 5/10 and 10/20nl winner, he told me I'm too tight and not playing my position correctly by folding AQo pref on the button to a tight old guy's raise. We are playing 2/5 with a 500 effective stack. This old guy who has rarely raised and I think his preflop raising ranges are very tight, raises to 25 after two limpers, I folded my AQo on the button there. My buddy gave me a bunch of shits for folding. He think I should've call and use my position. He said if the old guy checks the flop I should bet, and if the Ace hit the flop and he bet I call and if he bet the turn like he has AK then I should muck. My buddy is used to play bigger and deeper games. I told him my AQo is dominate by this old guy's range and at the 2/5 cap game a lot of players can't fold over pair or top pair and that my position is irrelevant verses his range. Unless i flop big i just don't think I'll make much money by calling. I think it's better to 3bet or fold than call. I respect my buddy's games and advices very much but I think he is wrong on this one. What do you guys think?

Comments

• ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    Your buddy is right.. AQ is too good a hand to fold in position.. If the old guy checks you bet and take the pot away from him. If he bets you call and see what he does on the turn.. If he bets again you fold..

I think you fold AT but maybe call with AJ suited...

Wendy
  • Fish Fryer Posts: 161Member
    The_hung1 said

I got this pro buddy's who is a big 5/10 and 10/20nl winner, he told me I'm too tight and not playing my position correctly by folding AQo pref on the button to a tight old guy's raise. We are playing 2/5 with a 500 effective stack. This old guy who has rarely raised and I think his preflop raising ranges are very tight, raises to 25 after two limpers, I folded my AQo on the button there. My buddy gave me a bunch of shits for folding. He think I should've call and use my position. He said if the old guy checks the flop I should bet, and if the Ace hit the flop and he bet I call and if he bet the turn like he has AK then I should muck. My buddy is used to play bigger and deeper games. I told him my AQo is dominate by this old guy's range and at the 2/5 cap game a lot of players can't fold over pair or top pair and that my position is irrelevant verses his range. Unless i flop big i just don't think I'll make much money by calling. I think it's better to 3bet or fold than call. I respect my buddy's games and advices very much but I think he is wrong on this one. What do you guys think?
    By folding, you are assigning the V a range of AA,KK,QQ and AK only. If you have some evidence that those are the only hands the V would raise with in his position, than a fold is proper. If you think his range is expanded a bit, than your fold becomes becomes -EV and the calling will bring your hand reading and post flop play into the picture a bit more.

Also - against tight players with a well defined range of big hands, this is a perfect opportunity to play pp and suited connectors. Should you miss the flop they are easy to get away from, you have position and most importantly, you know a tight V has a hand with which he wants to play. You are calling a little to win a lot. All the things dreams are made of :-)
  • Red Posts: 13Subscriber
    My thinking is similar to Zach. Even if we include AQ and JJ in his range, I think calling is still -EV. He is going to have an over pair a lot of the time and when we flopped top pair we are either beat or not getting anymore value from his range. We can only steal the pot when he misses the flop or an over card to his over pair hit.
  • Fish Fryer Posts: 161Member
    The_hung1 said

My thinking is similar to Zach. t.
    Then prepare to run like crap for weeks on end, etc... I wouldn't wish my game on anyone. LaughLaughLaugh
  • Red Posts: 13Subscriber
    I'm not folding because I'm scared to play AQ in a raised pot. I think when we play a hand we need to know what to expect before we play. I would rather call with pocket pairs ,suited connectors etc. to with a big pot when I hit knowing this guy will not fold top pair or over pair. AQ is this position will most likely win small pot from those old guy and I'm not business to try to make someone fold their top pair or over pair in a 100bb cap game.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    You could play this way but I think you are losing a lot of value.. I play 100bb cap games and below all the time and a nit raising doesnt always mean you are dominated.. True that you probably won't win a monster every hand but there are situations where you will stack nits with this kind of hand.. Say nit has AA and with your AQ flop comes QQX you are going to stack them..

Say nit has AK and you have AQ and flop comes 9 3 T and they check to you.. You bet and they fold their AK in disgust.. You win even though you were dominated..

Since you have an A it is much much less likely that Nit has an ace and therefore you are not dominated.. and at worst if they have KK you still have 30% by the river.. you might not get there but since they are a Nit its easy to play against them..

Just yesterday a player who is an old NIT actually three bet me I think with 99 or 88.. something in that range.. For all you know this "Nit" isnt a nit at all and is just using his older age and not playing too many hands to rep a Nit..

Wendy
  • SkinnybrownSkinnybrown Posts: 286Member
    Folding AQ on the button for 5 bb's against a tightish recreational player is correct if you play fit or fold poker and have no creativity postflop.