Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

High Hand calculator

Maxipok Posts: 4Subscriber
Given the popularity of the High Hands promotion in poker rooms, I made an Android app that calculates the expected value of a high hand given certain variables (Time left, number of tables and prize). Buying high hands from people could be very profitable in the long run. Comments, questions, and suggestions are greatly appreciated and if you like it please consider leaving a review. Thanks!

(Search for "High Hand Calculator" in Google Play)

Comments

• BartBart Posts: 5,819AdministratorLeadPro
    Can you explain more about how you did this? This factors in number of tables running and just the sheer mathematical likelihood of certain hands being made with remaining time?
  • Maxipok Posts: 4Subscriber
    Sure. The variables to consider are number of tables and time remaining. What I do is running a bunch of Montecarlo simulations and calculating from there. My assumptions are:
    25 hands/hour
    3 players average per hand to the river.
  • Oback2 Posts: 194Subscriber
    Those are some strong assumptions...
  • PokerShaman Posts: 49Subscriber
    25 hands per hour is really wrong for cardrooms that spread limit holdem. A full-ring limit table with a Shuffle Master machine typically plays about forty hands per hour. This app will give a biased estimate in any cardroom where limit holdem is played.
  • JS84 Posts: 30Subscriber
    I don't really understand what you mean by "buying high hands from people."

And how do you account for the low limit-hold-em games where players pretty much only play to hit a jackpot or other promotion. Lots of old guys like to check down sets and flushes in hopes of hitting quads or a straight flush.
    JS84 said:

And how do you account for the low limit-hold-em games where players pretty much only play to hit a jackpot or other promotion. Lots of old guys like to check down sets and flushes in hopes of hitting quads or a straight flush.
    For example, the current high hand is AAAKK with 20’ left, the prize is $500. You can ‘buy’ the hand from the guy hoping that the hand remains unbeaten until the time ends. The calculator tells you the price where you break even, obviously you offer less, that’s how you make money.

The conditions I coded work well for those environments, 3 people to the river is a safe assumption.
    JS84 said:

True, but this promotion runs primarily in rooms where NL is the main game played. Besides that, I played with the range of hands/hour and the difference is not significative, maybe a couple of porcentual points.
  • FreeLunch Posts: 1,308Pro
    If I ever play a NLH up to mid stakes table with that averages only 3 players per hand - Im out of there.

Cool idea for an ap tho - I have often wondered if its worth calculating as I could probably buy a lot of them. Thanks for doing this
  • brick Posts: 124Subscriber
    Sounds like great app idea that can easily be improved to accept a few more variables mentioned above