Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

The Grind Poker Podcast No.78: Annual Markup Rant and How Fake the Poker World is

Craig Posts: 690Administrator
In episode 78 Rob gives a passionate talk about tournament markup and how people are often disingenuous as to why they do things in poker.

Episode Posts at 11 AM PST.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/podcasts/annual-markup-rant-and-how-fake-the-poker-world-is
Tagged:

Comments

• Amicus Posts: 190Subscriber
    The best part about The Grind? It's Rob's cold harsh truth about everything in the poker world.

But we really have to wonder how many of these players selling at high markups genuinely believe it's a bad deal for investors. I'd imagine that even the ones who are losing players just tell themselves that they're on a downswing. What "tournament pro" do you think genuinely believes that his/her ROI is less than 50%, which means that even selling at 1.5 markup is break even?
  • PotLuckNeeded Posts: 55Subscriber
    edited June 24
    "how people are often disingenuous as to why they do things in poker."

Sure, it's an opinion and quite frankly feels a bit petty and overly cynical. You will never know someone's intentions in putting together a package, so to pretend to know for a fact seems a bit egotistical. Rob is passionate about it, I can respect it is his opinion even if it makes me cringe a bit. Maybe some of the vloggers such as Neeme, Owne and Vibes sincerely feels that they are bringing their supporters along for the ride. If they want to charge a markup for their time, the free market will properly respond. To call people fake that you have no insight into their life or long-term goals for a channel is a hot mess at best.

Love his training videos and often agree with much that's said about the state of live poker. Similar to Rob, I call it as I see it.
  • RobFarha Posts: 176Pro
    "Maybe some of the vloggers such as Neeme, Owne and Vibes sincerely feels that they are bringing their supporters along for the ride"

Why not do it for free then?

You know the answer, as do I. Please don't strawman me in your response and turn it into a discussion as if I said it's immoral for anyone to charge markup. It's not.

The issue is when you represent stuff as a favor to the audience when in reality it's a (questionably deserved) favor to yourself.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler