Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

1/2 - 3-bet PF - Good spot to double barrel?

CraftBeerWizard Posts: 25Subscriber
edited April 21 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
1/2 - $415 effective stacks

Folds to V, V raises to $10 OTB, SB calls, Hero in BB 3B! 30 with A Q, V calls, SB folds

($70) Flop - J 9 8 - H bets $45, V Calls

($160) Turn - 5 - H bets $75, V raises to $150. H?

My analysis: Didn't play the hand well pre-flop, should've sized up my raise larger to $40 or $50. Surprised the SB folded in retrospect.

Flop - I got back/forth on whether I should be betting big on the flop or if my 60% PSB is fine.

Turn - Again, I opt for a smaller sizing, 50% pot as I pick up more equity on the turn. Assuming V just calls my bet, it leaves me with roughly a PSB bet behind on the river.

So my questions.

Because of my stack size, is my bet sizing ok or should I have sized up my flop and turn bets because of how wet the board was?
Should I be double-barreling this type of board or should I have opted to check the flop/turn?
Calling V's raise is the only option on the turn, yea? Don't think raising or folding is a good idea.

Cheers!

Comments

• Garland Posts: 123Subscriber
    Pre-flop: As you already mentioned, your re-raise should have been in the $40-$50 range.

Flop: This flop smacks villain's range more than yours. I would check and call a bet up to about half the pot. You may still have the best hand and you may induce bluff bets from hands like KQ, AT, Ax, etc.

Turn: If you check-called flop, I would entertain check-raising the turn.

As played, I would just call the turn bet.
  • CraftBeerWizard Posts: 25Subscriber
    Thanks for the comment, Garland!

So is this the type of flop I should be checking my entire 3b! range back with?

Otherwise, I don't know what a balanced betting strategy for this flop looks like.

If we only bet this flop with value hands like overpairs/sets/straights, that still gives us 31 combos of value hands (18 overpair combos, 9 set combos, 4 combos of Q10). I can't see checking back these hands, so what bluffs should we be betting on this board for balance?

Bluff combos: 9 combos of 4-club hands (AK , AQ , KQ, KJ , K10 , A10 , A4 , A 5 and 87 ) 6 combos of 10s, 3 combos of A10s, 6 combos of AK/AQo with the A of and that still only puts us at 24 combos. I also think AQ in this particular spot is a good barrel candidate because I block the nut straight and nut flush.

My line of thinking wrong here?
  • Garland Posts: 123Subscriber
    CraftBeerWizard said:
    Thanks for the comment, Garland!

So is this the type of flop I should be checking my entire 3b! range back with?

Otherwise, I don't know what a balanced betting strategy for this flop looks like.

If we only bet this flop with value hands like overpairs/sets/straights, that still gives us 31 combos of value hands (18 overpair combos, 9 set combos, 4 combos of Q10). I can't see checking back these hands, so what bluffs should we be betting on this board for balance?

Bluff combos: 9 combos of 4-club hands (AK , AQ , KQ, KJ , K10 , A10 , A4 , A 5 and 87 ) 6 combos of 10s, 3 combos of A10s, 6 combos of AK/AQo with the A of and that still only puts us at 24 combos. I also think AQ in this particular spot is a good barrel candidate because I block the nut straight and nut flush.

My line of thinking wrong here?
    Some of your bluff combos have value (TT, KJs, 87cc) and would put them in the check-call or betting range. You cannot have K J according to the board. I will assume AJo, ATo and KJo is not in your 3-betting range pre-flop, but KQo is. We can adjust the combos below to reflect any faulty assumptions I made in your range.

Also since you 3-bet pre-flop, your blockers become less relevant (i.e. if a flush/straight turn card comes, they aren't necessarily as afraid of this possibility and you'll have to work harder to get the bluff through)

This is how I would construct a betting/checking range based on your 3-betting range in the quote above in addition to my assumptions.

On this flop, I would bet out AA, KK, AJs/KJs, and sets of JJ/99/88, QTs (should you be 3-betting this pre-flop??). for value (6+6+2*3+3*3+4 = 31 combos).

I would bet/3-bet A K/Q/T/4/5, K Q, K T, bet/fold KQ w/ exactly 1, ATs (not as a bluff (7 combos bet/3-bet + (6 + 3) combos bet/fold = 16 combos).

I would check and call QQ (since you heavily block straight draws, 6 combos), TT (pot control/way ahead, way behind, 6 combos), QJs (3 combos, implied since QTs is in your 3-bet range) and AQ w/ one (check call this hand to half pot bet, 6 combos of exactly 1). 8 7 (1 combo) which should be a deviation 3-bet is a little problematic since you have value, but making 2 pair completes villain straights. I could go either way, but choose to check-call this (6 + 6 + 3 + 6 + 1 = 22 combos).

I would check-fold the rest.

What do you think? This seems pretty balanced to me...
  • CraftBeerWizard Posts: 25Subscriber
    WHOOPS on KJs... lol, thanks for pointing that out.

Really appreciate the feedback as I'm working hard to improve on balancing my play! Q10 is a hand I will 3B! from the blinds against a late position open, usually at 50% frequency.

Cheers!

• Superfly Posts: 173Subscriber
    My 2 cents ... Normally I would 3B 5x in this spot, but given smaller SPR think $40 is best.

Flop is middling and wet, so does not favor 3bettor range. I would check most hands here, including over pairs. If you decide to multi barrel, again start out on smaller side (30% pot) to leave more room for maneuverability on turn and river.

As played, I’d check call turn in order to see river cheaply. Not a good multi-barrel bluff spot due to board config and shallow stack size IMO.