Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Bike specific: 2/3 max BI or 5/5 short BI?

I notice the 5/5 games seem to be very wild and good while 2/3 games have been feeling nitty and slow.

My BR lets me buy in for the full 100bb at the 2/3 table, but at the 5/5 I’d have I buy in for that same amount...$300, which is the minimum

Any suggestions? Stick it out in the 2/3 till I make
Enough to take $500 shots in the 5/5 or hop in there now short?

Comments

• Latrell1515 Posts: 235Subscriber
    Benny, how long have you been on CLP? I just came back after almost a year off and before was able to move up to $2-$5 from studying my ass off on the site. I have now come back and am starting at $1-$2 again to build a bankroll. I feel only being able to get in for $300 is going to limit all the tools that we are taught here on CLP. I started all over again and did all the fasttrack videos and the crushing NL hold em all over and now starting to play
  • BennyAdeline Posts: 26Subscriber
    Thanks for the reply Latrell.

I just signed up a few days ago

I think you have some valid points for sure. I’m trying to grind through all the videos ASAP.
  • alecspade Posts: 73Subscriber
    Bart mentioned this specifically in a podcast sometime within the last 2 months I think, but there is nothing wrong with short buying into the $5 BB game and getting comfortable in it. Having 60BB takes a lot of decisions away, so you just wait for hands and GII. You definitely want to play in the best/most action games in the room. No sense in playing in nitty games just because the blinds are lower. Hell, in the room I play in the 2/5 games are often not good filled with grinders while the 1/2 games are filled with the usual trash punting stacks and having no real idea of what they are doing.
  • BartBart Posts: 5,955AdministratorLeadPro
    I would recommend buying in for $300 at 5-5 and playing tight. You arent going to learn anything from 2-3 and the level is flooded with short stacks. Its also like 95% preflop. The more you play at 5-5 the more comfortable you will be. bart
    Bart said:
    I would recommend buying in for $300 at 5-5 and playing tight. You arent going to learn anything from 2-3 and the level is flooded with short stacks. Its also like 95% preflop. The more you play at 5-5 the more comfortable you will be. bart
    Thanks for the response Bart. I’ll take your advice and try it out tonight or tomorrow night. I’ll stay topped off at 300

Loving the subscription so far. Getting a response from you so quickly in a thread illustrates great value.

alecspade said:
    Bart mentioned this specifically in a podcast sometime within the last 2 months I think, but there is nothing wrong with short buying into the $5 BB game and getting comfortable in it. Having 60BB takes a lot of decisions away, so you just wait for hands and GII. You definitely want to play in the best/most action games in the room. No sense in playing in nitty games just because the blinds are lower. Hell, in the room I play in the 2/5 games are often not good filled with grinders while the 1/2 games are filled with the usual trash punting stacks and having no real idea of what they are doing.
    Thank you for the advice!

Any chance you remember which podcast he was discussing this in?
  • alecspade Posts: 73Subscriber
    BennyAdeline said:
    alecspade said:
    Thank you for the advice!

Any chance you remember which podcast he was discussing this in?
    I don't unfortunately, it may have been even later as I recently listened to some older stuff with just the 2/5 tag filtered. Just listen to them all :D
  • BartBart Posts: 5,955AdministratorLeadPro
    I'll talk about it a bit more this week as well. Maybe I will title the podcast about it as well.
    Bart said:
    I'll talk about it a bit more this week as well. Maybe I will title the podcast about it as well.
    That would be awesome. Thanks Bart!
  • Sonny Posts: 390Subscriber
    edited May 13
    @BennyAdeline I basiaclly play around the same stakes. However when ever I play $5 games with a $1k cap, I find that buying in for $500 is preferable to buying in for $300. Depending on if its a possiblity I would buy in for $500.
    Its been talked about before on CLP, but a lot of places on the internet are going to claim you need 50 buy ins or whatever, all thats kinda silly. If you have another source of income you can basically have a very minimal bankroll. So if possible I'd buy in for $500, even if that means you have less buy ins behind, you probably wont need them.
  • fishcake Posts: 964Subscriber
    Whatever you do just don't be like Sam the Nit and avoid your blinds/straddles at all costs as you min buy every game from 2/3 to 5/10/20.
    edited May 13
    Thanks for the replies all.

I have a decent job (95k), and a roll right at 6k. I can feed it 500-1k a month depending on expenses. I have 2 kids and a wife eating my cash flow ;)

My reasons for wanting to play poker are Pipe dreamy but worth a shot. I’m willing to put in the work for sure but don’t want to waste time at 2/3 if it’s just going to stall growth.
  • JamesSuh Posts: 319Subscriber
    I'd say just buy in for $500 and have a $1200 session stop-loss. The level up in skill at the $5 is not that much harder. I think if you follow the material on here, you'll do just fine.
    Thanks for the replies all! I'm taking it all into consideration and formulating the right move