Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

2 hands with the local magistrate - $2/$5 Orange City

Daddyslap Posts: 46Subscriber
edited May 20 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
$800 cap 2/5 Main game.

Villain is a local Judge (Old heavyset white dude) who likes to push his weight around. He's been dominating the conversation, but seems to be a somewhat moral dude based upon topics and discussions. I'm actually quite impressed, and the guy has my respect.

Hero is relatively new to the table, but is a local weekend grinder viewed as a winning player but sticky.

Hand 1

Hero ($640) is MP KsQd. Villain ($1400+) is UTG and limps $5. UTG+1 $5, folds to hero who makes it $25. Folds around to UTG who calls. UTG+1 calls.

Flop: ($80 after rake+drop) Qs9h3d. Checks to hero ($45). Villain calls. +1 folds.

($170) 5c. Villain checks. Hero $85. Villain shoves (covers).

Hero folds.

3 hours later, hero has watched this judge limp/call 45% of the range and call 3 bets 30%+ of the time. He's also 3 bet a bit, but seems to show relative strength in these spots. He's had to rebuy a couple times and seems to be a bit tilted.

Hero has had an up and down session, winning and losing a few decent sized pots. I've been active, but folding a lot.

Hand: 2 limps. Hero ($700) is in the CO with AhKc and makes it $25. Button calls, sb folds, and Villain ($800) 3! to $85. Hero 4b to $240. Villain calls

($500 after rake/drop) Kh10s4d. Villain checks, Hero $215, Villain shoves and covers.

Hero?

Comments

• CycleV Posts: 910Subscriber
    edited May 21
    I'm sorry he had AA or 2p+, but it's about 250 to win 1400. You need to be good less than 20% of the time. With everything you described, folding top top is not an option.

Another way to look at this is that on the flop, you have a SPR less than 1. Folding is not an option for basically any TP hand.

The 4! was correct imo and flop sizing was good. You played it fine (again, imo).
  • Daddyslap Posts: 46Subscriber
    My general thought process here resides in constructing the 3! Range. I feel his 4b calling range is relative.

3! Range I place around 88+, AQ+, maybe something like QJs?. I feel I can remove QQ+ from the 4b calling range, but also perhaps widen this range to include suited Broadway, maybe all pairs. Like I said, he seemed a bit tilted.
  • JKH Posts: 831Subscriber
    edited May 21
    Would be a large hero fold with these stack sizes& Very exploitable. Being that u are calling $255 to win $1400, you have to know putting in the money is a no brainer. Making this fold without knowing for a virtual fact that u are against AA tt or kk is very exploitable. So in short, calling is the correct standard play here especially when u down bet flop and undersize you bet repping small weakness (as u should with your hand), folding this hand in my opinion is mainly going to be a really bad play and occasionally be brilliant, so I would very rarely fold here & only consider folding against the nittiest players I am overly sure have me crushed. As u describe the Villian as tilty and one who likes to bully this is a snap call ....”Nice hand sir spot”.
  • Superfly Posts: 182Subscriber
    He’s an effing magistrate fer chrissakes! You do NOT want to get on his bad side. Fold.

Just kidding. Snap call for all the reasons noted above. But strongly suggest that you refrain from gloating and saying things like “Thanks for the chippies” if you win.
    by 1JKH
    I did in fact call here with the expectation of being good most of the time.

What range are you putting this guy on to 3bet, call a 4b pre and check raise shove the flop with no fold equity? I took about 30 seconds to consider on what I'd agree to be a snap call.
  • fishcake Posts: 935Subscriber
    Snap call. I think just jam pre is fine also. I think your 4bet size needs to be like 210 or all in. 240 is pretty large in position 140bb deep.
  • Jonesey Posts: 28Subscriber
    This old heavy-set white dude is offended by "old heavyset white dude who likes to push his weight around."
    Does it make it any better if I admit to being a Newfy?
    by 1Jonesey
  • Jonesey Posts: 28Subscriber
    And some say poker players have no humor range.