Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Pocket Kings Deep at 1/3, Should I Be Scared of Pocket Aces?

1/3 Seattle. The maximum amount that you can bet is $500. The maximum number of raises pre-flop is three.

My stack is $1280. The villain's stack is $750. The villain is under +2. I am the lojack. The villain is a competent player but probably too loose at the 1/3 level preflop. He has been raising a ton of hands and I've been three-betting his raises aggressively as well.

I have two black kings. There is a under the gun straddle. Villain raises to $18. I re-reraise to $60. Folds to the big blind, who then cold calls my $60 reraise. The under the gun straddle folds. The villain then reraises to $200. I call. The big blind folds. I did not re-raise his $200 re-raise because under the rules here in Seattle, the number of maximum raises had been hit with the villain's re-raise to $200.

The flop is 9, 9, 8 rainbow. The villain bets $200. He has $350 behind.

At what point should I be worried that the villain has pocket aces? Should I just call or is this a case where I should just shove all-in given that the villain has just $350 behind and there is no card on the turn other than an ace that would really get me to fold if I just call the $200 bet on the flop. Or can I possibly find a hero fold on the flop?

I will note that the big blind in this hand was a complete fish. My thought process was that the villain may have been making a move given the big blind's cold call and that he may have been getting frustrated with how often I was three-betting his opening raises. However, this hand was the first time in which he actually came back over the top of my re-raise with a 4-bet cap.

The Seattle rules also create some perverse incentives pre-flop that a smart player can exploit given the cap on the number of raises. The villain knew that I could not go over the top of his $200 re-raise pre-flop.

You would think that having pocket kings, super deep, in position, against another opponent who was also playing deep is a dream spot on a 9, 9, 8 rainbow flop following a 4-bet pot pre-flop. But the whole situation felt super sick.

I would also appreciate any feedback on what to do with queens in this instance. I think jacks is a fold pre-flop while ace king is a fold on the flop and I do not think we need to get into what to do with pocket aces.

Tagged:

Comments

• johnjscott1296 Posts: 2Subscriber
    So first thing I think important to note is effective stack sizes. Because of the straddle, V is only 125 bbs deep (I'm usually always stacking off w/ kings for around 100 blinds. I think 125 falls in this category).

Additionally, because of your dynamic w/ V, I could see him 4! AK, Queens, maybe Jacks(given his aggro play style).

AP, I'd just shove flop. I'm never calling just to fold to a 2/5 pot size bet on the turn.. If he has aces it's a standard cooler for this amount of blinds.