Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

2/5 vs straddle pot

Structure Posts: 2Subscriber
edited May 29 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Local 2/5
Straddle is on for $10

Hj,co, sb limp to me in bb - I complete 5 more w ks7h, straddler x option

($50)Kc8c7x flop

X to hj who bets $30 (he is an older white man, seems nitty and tight) co calls (agroish Asian guy)
Sb folds and I xr to $110
Folds back to Old man in hj who thinks a bit and makes it $240 (with about $200 behind)

Folds back to hero?

Comments

• GarlandGarland Posts: 387Subscriber
    With the effective stack size of less than 50 BB with the straddle, and absent a more significant read, I'm just going to get it in and make him show a better hand. I'm not saying I'd never make the fold, but I'd have to have some serious evidence to do it. I might favor leading if this game is passive post-flop.
  • PiggyPiggy Posts: 163Subscriber
    K7o? Just fold pre even in the blinds when it limps around, IMO.
  • CycleV Posts: 1,143Subscriber
    I mean you're just gonna have to gii, even vs an omc, but for the love of dog why are we in this hand with K7o????

If you were utg in an unstraddled pot, would you limp K7o (fuck even K7s)? Of course not. So why call $5 from BB just cuz it's straddled and so far unraised?

I need a drink.
  • Structure Posts: 2Subscriber
    edited May 30
    Im getting like 8/1 on a call. would you defend your bb getting those odds with K7o? I feel like completing here is completely fine and I would defend much lighter than king high anyways. I would obviously not open limp that hand or even call a raise - different situation though considering i already have money in the pot and im going to see a flop for $5 with a pot $50 a very high % of time.
  • GarlandGarland Posts: 387Subscriber
    edited May 30
    I don't understand all the hate on completing $5 in BB getting 9:1 unless the straddle is getting out of line a lot raising preflop. The argument that you wouldn't play it voluntarily doesn't hold. The real questions are about pot odds, hand strength and how far you are to closing the action. It's possible the hand will go to showdown without any betting and k7 will hit a piece and win.
  • sivaddivad Posts: 339Subscriber
    edited May 30
    Fold pre. It’s a shitty hand in shitty position and you’re not even closing the action. You’re lighting money on fire by completing pre. These are the same reasons why you need to have a tighter range from the SB pre.

Never folding given stack sizes. Not loving it though.
  • Superfly Posts: 430Subscriber
    Hard to see anyone open limping from HJ with KK, 88, 77 or K8. If that’s the case you are ahead and probably facing FD or possibly 87. You’re not folding and probably neither is he. So might as well shove.

However if he’s one of those supernits who limps even big hands because he knows the table will fold to any bet he might make pre, then fold. But that’s a big exploit you’d make only if you know the V.
  • hustlin Posts: 311Subscriber
    yah would just get it in here with these stacks depths. K7 is up there . something like 87 u can fold out lol.
  • MattM Posts: 39Subscriber
    Ship it! Youre gonna really have to know this guy like the back of your hand to not ship it and fold. You only have to worry about 88 and 77, which are probably raising pre at certain frequencies so there really aren't many combos at all.
  • the_dude_abides Posts: 331Subscriber
    Don’t listen to the nits about preflop.