Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Tournament Preparation

justfourfun Posts: 187Subscriber
edited June 3 in Tournament Discussion
Calling all CLP'er tourney players. What do you think of Rob's 6/1/19 podcast about tourneys? I think alot of it is bad tournament strategy advice. Admittedly, he says he is no expert on tournament poker. Cash games differ from tournaments - players are usually under 100 BB and cannot easily reload.

I think playing cash games are a great way to get ready for tournaments, it keeps you sharp. But come tournament time its a different game to be played.

The best strategy when playing tournaments is to not make mistakes. Since that is impossible, try to minimize mistakes. It can be a mistake to fold certain hands in certain instances. It can be a mistake not to 3 bet certain hands pre-flop, it can be a mistake to only call and not raise. A mistake to bet, or to bet too little or too much. A mistake to raise too little or alternatively too much, a mistake to defend blinds too aggressively or not aggressively enough. A mistake not to take into consideration the betting style or characteristics of an opponent in a hand. A mistake not to map out all the streets of a hand based on stack sizes. A mistake not to anticipate potential 12 BB shoves by two short stacks at the table.

The most common mistake I see good players making is the mistake of underestimating the ability of a weak player to play certain hands very well. Along the same lines, a common mistake I think really good poker players make is an overconfidence in their ability to outplay weaker players post flop.

Mistakes are easier to avoid the first 8 hours of play in a tournament. Once fatigue sets in I notice an appreciable increase in mistakes. Adarol seems a godsend at times.

Studying Bart's call in shows I think is a great way to prepare for tournament play. While they mainly focus on cash game play the critical analysis applies equally well to tournament play. Spend several hours listening to his call in shows and going over the breakdown of decisions as discussed by Bart. Then try to do the same careful thoughtful analysis in a tournament.

Realize that our decision making abilities are significantly negatively impacted when we are under stress. Take the time to diffuse the stress in your mind and then act.

Let's win some tournament cash!!

Comments

• BartBart Posts: 5,949AdministratorLeadPro
    Which events are you going to play in? I know that you have had a lot of success in tourneys where many on the site sort of have a bad taste in their mouths from bricking so many (including me at times). Bart
  • justfourfun Posts: 187Subscriber
    Hey Bart, sorry for the delay in responding to you. It’s Tuesday June 18th and I am on my way to Vegas! I’m going to play in the $2,500 NLHE wsop event starting on Thursday.

I am a Commercial Real Estate Investor and I just closed on June 11 on a $2.5 mil 16,000 sq ft office building in Wheaton, Illinois and I have a similar closing next month on a building in Naperville, Illinois. Closing is intense and all encompassing. My hold ‘em game has suffered but I am now ready to get my priorities straightened out and play some hold ‘em! (I am writing this message in my Uber on the way to Midway Airport!)

I attached photos of excel spreadsheets of my last two years results.

2018 stats: total buy ins - $41,925; hours played 284; cashes $31,169; net loss = $10,756

2019 YTD stats; total buy-in’s $13,940; hours played 145; cashes $11,326; net YTD loss = $2,614.

So nothing in 2018 or so far in 2019 to brag about for sure, but I’ve seen the huge upside potential and I think it’s just a matter of time.

• Latrell1515 Posts: 235Subscriber
    Good luck man..keep us posted
  • MattyB Posts: 55Subscriber
    GL! Wish I could head back to Vegas to play a few more....