Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Turn Raise Size?

jojacks Posts: 80Subscriber
$1/$3 Hero starts the hand with roughly $375, Villain covers. Villain is TAG in his 30's. Earlier in session I 3! Villain's UTG open with KK from UTG+2, then Villain open shoved $240 into $80 on QJX flop (I folded).

Hero straddles BTN for $6. 5 players limp (Villain in HJ), Hero checks option with 8 6. ($36)

Flop is 9 7 4. 4 players check to Villain who bets $15 from HJ, Hero calls BTN, as does BB. ($81)

Turn 9 7 4 T. BB checks, Villain bets $50, Hero raise to...? (pot currently $131, Hero ~ $355)

Small enough to fold to a bad river?
Large enough to commit and pay off?
Shove?

Tagged:

Comments

• LatvianMissile Posts: 69Subscriber
    I would suggest a raise to 115. Anything between 100-150 is fine, the goal is to get it in on the River on any non-diamond or paired card, and bet-fold if it is a diamond or if the board pairs. 115 sets up close to a shove on the river plus keeps the V in the hand. If the board pairs or a diamond comes out we bet 125 and fold to a raise. If V has J8, then that sucks.
  • jojacks Posts: 80Subscriber
    Can we really bet-fold river getting 5.5-1 coming back?
  • CycleV Posts: 995Subscriber
    I'd raise to 140 and call if he shoves turn.

I think you should be clear about what consitiutes a bad river card. In my mind it's only diamonds, though a J or a 6 aren't ideal since hands like 87s could call a turn raise. I'm not worried about a board pairing, cuz his flop bet was really small for 2p+, and turn also not really big. OTOH, the guy shoved 240 into an 80 pot? That's not TAG. I don't even know how to classify it. Neither is limping along in a straddled pot when he has decent position. Axdd is about all I can give him credit for (since I ruled out small PP).
  • LatvianMissile Posts: 69Subscriber
    jojacks said:
    Can we really bet-fold river getting 5.5-1 coming back?
    Tis a fair point, but I think so. I just don't know if he's raising anything worse if a diamond hits. Maybe a set? I think that'd just call, tho.
  • jojacks Posts: 80Subscriber
    That’s a good point about bet sizing w/2 pair+ on such a wet board. So much of what has been giving me fits is with the small raise size is I feel like I am turning my hand face up and allowing a thinking opponent to exploit me on an unfavorable river (I know I’m probably over-thinking this since so few players are capable of betting $200 as a bluff).

Being able to narrow it to just avoiding a diamond and the action killer/counterfeiting straight cards makes me feel a lot better about the smaller sizing.