Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

5/10 3bet Pot

MattM Posts: 25Subscriber
I've been taking some succussful shots at 5/10 lately and I got into a hand that I thought I played well but I'm curious what you guys think. I don't have too much experience with 3bet pots coming from 1/3. OTTH.

I open to $35 UTG1 with KcJc (Stack: $2450)
Folds to MAWG villain in MP who 3bets to $105 (Stack: $2800)
Folds to me and I call.
Flop ($220) comes KsJh3h
I check, V bets $200, I raise to $600, he 3bet ships it for my stack. Is this an easy snap call? Did I put myself in a way ahead way behind scenario by check raising such a strong line by the 3 better?
Spoiler:
I called, turn came the 9c, river 5c. He shakes his head and shows AhQh and we win the biggest pot of my life.
Tagged:

Comments

• CycleV Posts: 912Subscriber
    edited June 12
    How we don't snap this, I have no idea. If he has one of the combos of KK or JJ well gg, but there's an awful lot more AA or AK that play this way cuz it's a draw-heavy board and the dude is a moron.

And raising the flop is 100% correct. You went kinda big but w/e.
  • Garland Posts: 138Subscriber
    I've played limited 5/10, but I would probably fold to the 3-bet pre-flop OOP (at least at my normal $5 blind stakes). The only redeeming value of KJ is it's suited, otherwise this hand suffers from domination a large % of the time. I would entertain calling pre-flop only if I have evidence his 3-betting range being very wide and/or he plays hands poorly post-flop. As played, I don't see anything other than shipping stacks in.
    by 1CycleV
  • PokerShaman Posts: 49Subscriber
    The effective stack is deep enough that by the 15-25-35 rule we are getting the right price to call the preflop 3-bet.
  • MattM Posts: 25Subscriber
    @CycleV I want to believe that he would do this with AA and AK but I think the only combo of AK he might do this with is AKhh and that he would just call the check raise with the other combos including that of AA. For someone to overplay a hand that much seems far fetched.
    @Garland I agree that this is a clear fold at 1/3 or 1/2 where 3bet ranges are so tight. But I'm seeing easily 6-7x as many 3bets in the short amount of time I have played 5/10 compared to 1/3 so I'm going to be defending with all suited broadways except maybe QT given appropriate stack depth.
    @PokerShaman This is technically a gapped suited connector and we are actually not getting 35x but closer to 25x. I think broadway cards are sort of in their own class of hand and I don't apply the 25x and 35x rules to them.
  • fishcake Posts: 935Subscriber
    Preflop is pretty close. Being $2500 deep against a non professional (easy read with that terrible flop sizing) I think I’d call against only the 3x size 3bet. I think calling with KTs and QTs would be a leak.

On the flop when he blasts it I’m raising. If he has Aces or AK I’m challenging him to make a fold and I don’t think most recs are going to so that’s great. I think your sizing is good and not too big like other posters suggested. Be exploitable, who cares. It’s an easy snap call when he ships. If he’s got a set then pay the man his money.
    by 1CycleV
  • hustlin Posts: 279Subscriber
    edited June 14
    Against a MAWG looks fine to me.
    6 combos AA
    8 combos AK
    1 combo KK
    1 combo JJ.
    Not the greatest spot in the world but this is one of the best spots you’re ever going to hit.
    Math says the call.
  • hustlin Posts: 279Subscriber
    hustlin said:
    Against a MAWG looks fine to me.
    16 combos AA
    8 combos AK
    1 combo KK
    1 combo JJ.
    Not the greatest spot in the world but this is one of the best spots you’re ever going to hit.
    Math says the call.
    Edit... oh I also didn’t see th flush draws. This makes it a snap call! Nice hand.

• Superfly Posts: 184Subscriber
    Boy, IDK. To me, this is only an easy, snap call if you assume V has all AK. And you might very well see that in a 5-10 game but not from the good players. If he’s decent, I would give him the range shown below with nut FD outs at a minimum. You’re 50-50 vs this range. And if he has KK or JJ you’re drawing dead. Feeling lucky?

Against a VIP I would call, but vs a pro I don’t think it’s a snap for $1700 more. Crying call at best, and maybe even a good disciplined fold if I had more discipline than I do.
  • PokerShaman Posts: 49Subscriber
    MattM said:
    This is technically a gapped suited connector and we are actually not getting 35x but closer to 25x. I think broadway cards are sort of in their own class of hand and I don't apply the 25x and 35x rules to them.
    You opened 35, villain raised 3x to 105. That 's 70 to call. 35 x 70 = 2450. Villain has 2800 (less the 105).