Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Check Raised on the Flop

V is an aggressive player definitely capable of bluffing. 1/3/6 410 effective H covers. Straddle on. 5 limpers, H to 40 with AcQs, SB, Straddle and UTG +1 all call. Pot: 182. Flop: Qd 10d 4s. Checks to H who bets 70. folds to UTG +1 who C/R All-in for 300 more. Pot:622. Hero?

Also facing 5 limpers and a pot of 39 (1 is dropped pre for BBJ) what do you think the raise sizing should be on the button with AQo, and do you like the Flop sizing?

Comments

• CycleV Posts: 964Subscriber
    edited June 14
    1/3/6, I'm opening to 20 if rfi. With more than half the table limping in, you gotta go bigger to thin the field. Using the standard +1BB per limper (in this case $6), $50 seems reasonable. I don't even mind more, so much dead money there.

As played, I don't love the flop sizing. I'm such an old man, but this downsizing fetish is SOOOO misapplied. It should be used when 2-3 handed and on dry-ish flops. None of that applies here. It's a wet board and you've got 3 V's. Someone if not multiple someones likely has a made hand or a draw, you gotta get value.

He never has QQ or TT and shouldn't really have any QTo. There's only 2 QTs and he really should have raised that as well, or dumped it pre. Anyway, there's 3 sets of 44 and 2 QTs against a host of possible draws. Getting 2-1, he only need two hands like 87dd to make the call. Just gonna have to shrug-gii.

EDIT: If enough people come back and say it's a fold, then I'm cool with rethinking this one. My problem is that I don't know enough about V. 44 makes the most sense, but literally every other hand he "shouldn't" have. So I need to know if he would l/c with SC. Looking back to preflop, he did overcall after a couple other calls, so he could have figured he's likely to see a flop and have some implied odds with a hand like that.
  • LatvianMissile Posts: 64Subscriber
    This is my first time playing with the V. I had seen him raise preflop a few times before this hand, had not seen a check/raise on the flop from him.
  • Arenzano Posts: 1,391Subscriber
    Preflop: Your choice of sizing is a little small in my opinion. $40 just seems too light here. I would consider $55 - 60, maybe even more. You have a 34bb stack given the straddle.

With your small raise and the resultant callers, I am not sure what a 40% bet size is going to do here? I do not get the feeling you were trying to induce a raise, so you'll need to examine the purpose of the bet. In my opinion, you either should be betting more e.g. 66 - 70% and be willing to get the money in absent other information or checking back and looking to evaluate the turn for a delayed cbet.

Given you're description of the villain and his aggressive nature, he can be doing this with a wide variety of hand combos, but the SPR is basically 2 and you are close to the top of range in this spot. Seems like an easy call. Sometimes we will win this, sometimes we just lose.
  • LatvianMissile Posts: 64Subscriber
    Spoiler:
    I tanked and called. V had A3ss and bricked out. I just couldn't find anything I lose to that V had with the limp-call on the flop other than 44.

Purpose of the bet was to get called by a weaker Q, or something like A10 or K10. I could see betting more to try to deny equity, but we can't we still get it in on turn or river? Pot was 322 with a call and 200 behind. But the more I think about it, the more I think you guys are probably right that I should bet more on the flop.
  • JLBJ Posts: 158Subscriber
    After all the calls, even though it’s a single-raised pot, the SPR is 2. Sometimes you will be beat, but this is a shrug-call.